"Excel Found Unreadable Content" error

bill_ohio

My wife has a file that worked a week ago, and now gives the "Excel found unreadable content in Book_Name" error. Clicking "yes", opens the repaired file, but content has now changed.

The file contained over 50 cells in Column A that had a comment formatted to display a picture, instead of a message. All the comments have been removed. The explanation of the repairs is given in the following, which I do not understand:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- <recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
<logFileName>error016400_01.xml</logFileName>
<summary>Errors were detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Arlene\My Documents\Flora_Fauna_Dates_COPY.xlsx'</summary>
- <removedParts summary="Following is a list of removed parts:">
<removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/drawings/vmlDrawing1.vml part. (Drawing shape)</removedPart>
</removedParts>
- <removedRecords summary="Following is a list of removed records:">
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Comments from /xl/comments1.xml part (Comments)</removedRecord>
</removedRecords>
</recoveryLog>

Everything I have been able to find on any other message board, including Microsoft, points to an error with Pivot Tables, but this file doesn't have any.

I did find a hotfix on the Microsoft site (KB Article Number: 956836) that I am somewhat hesitant to use.

Any ideas? Does anyone need more information? My wife would greatly appreciate the assistance - this is way beyond me!

thanks in advance,

Bill

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Try sending the file to me (removed) and I'll see what I can do.
Has the file been modified after being opened? Send me the unmodified file, even if opening it will strip it from the pictures in the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thanks! I'll send as soon as I quit here. The file was last saved April 6, when it worked fine. Each time we opened it today, we closed without saving.

Bill

Upvote 0
Bill I just opened your document and I can state that all the images within the comments are still there, so what is the problem really?

Upvote 0
Gabriel,

I received your email before I checked here. There are no images in the first tab, "wildflowers", but there were on April 6.

thanks.

Upvote 0
NateO -

I'm reluctant to use the "hotfix" because I wasn't sure if all the specific situations applied directly to my situation. I didn't want to make a bad situation even worse. The hotfix was not recent, and I have downloaded all the critical updates that Microsoft sends out.

Bill

Upvote 0
Bill does your wife still have the images on the harddrive? Or is it too tedious remaking the first sheet page?

Upvote 0
Gabriel,

The issue now is one of being a pain in the rear to rebuild, and the fear that the same thing may happen again. Since we don't really know what caused this, we're not sure what to do. (and, unfortunately, most of the images were found by searching the internet, and she didn't keep a copy)

thanks again,
Bill

Upvote 0
She didn't keep a copy of them?

No problem, I have them here. I found 2 advanced XLSX repairing utilities online but they cost about $60 and I don't think it's worth the effort buying them, they are called Recovery Toolbox for Excel and Stellar Phoenix Excel Recovery.

30dea78.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back