Excel Freezing when Pasting data consecutively

KDavidP1987

Board Regular
Greetings,

Context:

I have three tables (formatted as tables) with the same data going into them. Each table has different formulas for calculating different things. Duplicates from each table are removed differently, to accommodate different reports, which is why there are three (in case you were curious).

The data in them comes from a ticketing system that generates a csv file of the raw data (3K - 17K rows, depending on timeframe specified [monthly/weekly]).

When I go to copy and paste the data (unformatted, of course) into these three tables Excel freezes on the second and third table for about 5 min just to complete the paste action. The first data paste (tested with 17K rows data set) goes in within matter of seconds (like, 3 - 5). But consecutive pastes into the other tables freeze excel for minutes.

It doesn't matter what order I paste in (to which table)! The first paste is quickly entered, and the next two each freeze the program for significant time.

Question

Is there any way to speed this up? :confused:

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
is that from vba, are there formulas that have to update

Upvote 0
It does so when pasted manually AND when pasted from VBA (with screen updating disabled)! There are formulas on each page that update. What gets me though, the first paste goes in super fast (seconds), no matter which page I choose to do first. It's always the second and third pastes that suddenly freeze Excel for 5 minutes

Upvote 0
2nd and third will force the first to update again (I would suggest)

Upvote 0
2nd and third will force the first to update again (I would suggest)

I appreciate you following up, but I'm sorry I don't understand... Is this an explanation or solution you posted? Is there a way to paste the data consecutively without it freezing for so long on the second and third paste?

Upvote 0
done from VBA, or even the menu bar turn off calculation, until all pasted, then turn it back on and calculate. (If its the cause)

Upvote 0
Thank you for the follow-up. Mole999! I am going to try that and see how well it works. I found the scripts necessary for turning off calculations on another site.

I'll just have to figure out the scripts necessary to fill down and calculate the formulas on those formatted tables afterwards.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

Sincerely,
Kris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back