Excel frontend with Acess backend that utilise a combobox/textbox combination to filter clients

dwsteyl

Hi

I'm putting this question under Excel, although Access is also involved.

I have an Excel frontend, that has a userform that can be used to display client information. The Excel pulls data from an Access database that has a ClientCode field and a ClientName field (amongst many many other field).

This is what I have a problem with (steps will explain):
1. The userform has a textbox and combobox next to one another. Upon opening the userform the combobox should automatically be filled with the names of all clients (this should be queried from the Access database automatically via a recordset if possible)
2. The client can then start typing client names in the combobox, and the combobox should filter to corresponding clients as the user types. It should display the top 5-10 options if possible.
3. The user can then select the client he wants.
4. The corresponding client code is than put in the textbox when the client name is selected in the combobox.

If a combobox is not the correct control to use I would gladly accept someone correcting me. Also, is it possible to change/manipulate combobox settings in such a way that it can be used as a filterable (is this a word?) control to get the desired result.

I thought of pulling the ClientCode and ClientName from the Access database, then putting it in a hidden sheet and creating a (dynamic?) named range, assign that to the combobox, and then run a VLookup from the userform to get the client code for the textbox.

BUT before I do that I want to know if there is a more clever way of achieving the above before resorting to my proposed solution. Just thinking - if more than once control is necessary to get the desired result that is fine. I suppose in such a situation some of the controls can be hidden and would not even bother the user.

Too many ideas without knowing my options...

I do not have any code for this yet since I need to know my options before I can proceed. I've also searched the internet for similar problems people posted about, but could not find a single one that utilises Excel frontend with Access backend (or I just did not search with the correct phrases etc).

Thank you for any assistance!

Regards
dwsteyl

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Hi, If you have nothing, I would prefer Access, Forms, Reports, Queries, export to .xlsx, etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back