Excel Frustration with Dates

Ralph Gregory

Board Regular
Hi all I've racked my brains with this and I keep coming across the same problem
I have a text box ("tbDate") which I can type a date into in uk format "04/07/2020" ("dd/mm/yyyy") works fine and looks fine. When I save my data to another sheet using the following code
With Worksheets("Invoices")
.Range("B" & a).value = Worksheets("Invoice").Shapes("tbDate").TextFrame.Characters.Text
more code
end with
the result saves in US format "07/04/2020" even if i have the cells formatted as UK date
I even added the following code line to force it into uk Format
.Range("B" & a).value = Format(Worksheets("Invoice").Shapes("tbDate").TextFrame.Characters.Text,"dd/mm/yyyy")
and it made no difference!!
and yes my regional settings in windows 10 and excel are set to uk as is my default english and keyboard settings
Using 2019 version of excel ....Ive searched the web and it seems many people have the same problem... anyone got a solution?
If the day number is greater than 12 the dates tranfer Correctly...

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.

Rick Rothstein

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
What if you split the date into parts and create the date from those parts, does that work for you...
VBA Code:
Arr = Split( Worksheets("Invoice").Shapes("tbDate").TextFrame.Characters.Text, "/")
.Range("B" & a).Value = DateSerial(Arr(2), Arr(1), Arr(0))

JLGWhiz

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Try
VBA Code:
.Range("B" & a).Text = Format(Worksheets("Invoice").Shapes("tbDate").TextFrame.Characters.Text,"dd/mm/yyyy")

Rick Rothstein

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Did you try the code idea I posted in Message #2 yet?

Ralph Gregory

Board Regular

ADVERTISEMENT

What if you split the date into parts and create the date from those parts, does that work for you...
VBA Code:
Arr = Split( Worksheets("Invoice").Shapes("tbDate").TextFrame.Characters.Text, "/")
.Range("B" & a).Value = DateSerial(Arr(2), Arr(1), Arr(0))
Hi Rick I had thought of doing that but it seems disappointingly clunky and shouldn't be necessary i Microsoft got their coding right in the first place.. :)

MARK858

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
@Ralph Gregory What does the below give you?

VBA Code:
With Worksheets("Invoices")
.Range("B" & a).Value = CDate(Worksheets("Invoice").Shapes("tbDate").TextFrame.Characters.Text)

End With

Last edited:

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangdonJohn