Excel Frustration with Dates

Ralph Gregory

Board Regular
Hi all I've racked my brains with this and I keep coming across the same problem
I have a text box ("tbDate") which I can type a date into in uk format "04/07/2020" ("dd/mm/yyyy") works fine and looks fine. When I save my data to another sheet using the following code
With Worksheets("Invoices")
.Range("B" & a).value = Worksheets("Invoice").Shapes("tbDate").TextFrame.Characters.Text
more code
end with
the result saves in US format "07/04/2020" even if i have the cells formatted as UK date
I even added the following code line to force it into uk Format
.Range("B" & a).value = Format(Worksheets("Invoice").Shapes("tbDate").TextFrame.Characters.Text,"dd/mm/yyyy")
and it made no difference!!
and yes my regional settings in windows 10 and excel are set to uk as is my default english and keyboard settings
Using 2019 version of excel ....Ive searched the web and it seems many people have the same problem... anyone got a solution?
If the day number is greater than 12 the dates tranfer Correctly...

I am not sure if there is a problem or not, but you should check Mark's solution to see if it works correctly for dates where the day number is less than 13 and not the same as the month number (for example, March 11th of any year).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
As I said, I was not sure if there would be a problem for the OP or not, but string date conversions colliding with different month/day ordering are a recurring theme on the forums, so I wanted the OP to verify the results are what he expected. Just so you know, CDate("11/03/2020") gives me November 3rd as an answer here on my computer (set to US locale), not March 11th like it does for you. As long as the date string is being interpreted by VB within the locale the date string is created for, I guess it will work. The procedure I posted in Message #2 is guaranteed to work no matter the user's locale (as long as you know the intended ordering of the date string) as it avoids letting VB use its "evil type conversion" to make the decision as to what the date is supposed to be by creating a real date value (the underlying floating point number for the date) directly.

Upvote 0
The solution is simple, just get the UK to adopt the more logical American system of dates... problem solved.:giggle:

Upvote 0
Bah.... or do what I done in my last firm and train our US counterparts to use ISO 8601 format when sending me data ;) as most areas in the world either use DMY, YMD or both (and yes I did use it as well :)).

1593966360826.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back