Excel Gantt Chart

Harvey12

Board Regular
Hi All,

I have a table of data and I'm trying to create a gantt chart, I have looked on numerous websites, even posted on here and I still can't get it to work, can anyone walk me through the process start to finish please?

Many thanks
Harvey

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi All,

I have a table of data and I'm trying to create a gantt chart, I have looked on numerous websites, even posted on here and I still can't get it to work, can anyone walk me through the process start to finish please?

Many thanks
Harvey

This is not easy to do.

I created one with lots of rips from the internet.

It uses a Userform for creating new tasks and layers.

The first step (and only because it is easy) is to determine how you want your GANTT to look when it is finished. That way you know what you are working towards.

Step two is to list all of your tasks and determine their relationship. This is essential to project management so plan carefully.

Step three is to begin coding.

The hardest part is the WBS numbering (ie 1.1.1.2.3) and getting the tasks to layer out correctly.

The second hardest part was coding the area that tracks the time (the calendar portion) as I wanted it to be in weekdays only and account for holidays.

This will take some serious time to put together. I would suggest looking for a GANNT code that already works. the problem is then fitting your data to match the code rather than writing the code to match your data.

Is there a reason you can not use MS Project or some other project management software?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Currently I don't have access to MS Project but it is in the pipeline with managers, so maybe when it comes out, but currently I am the only one with some excel knowledge, so is there a justifiable reason as to why this isn't possible? To non-excel minds? Struggling to justify how this isn't the easiest thing to do?

Upvote 0
to non-excel minds it is tricky to explain what can or cannot be done. It has been my experience that those who do not work heavily in excel AND do NOT do their workings in the higher than average skill levels, are torn between believing excel can do anything or that it can only do what they understand.

That said, a GANTT model is heavily dependent on logic. It can be done. the problem is changing existing code to meet your needs or your needs to meet the code (the former is much better). The second problem is organizing the data. Although this is less of an argument as it will need to be done before entering it into a project management program.

IF your bosses are willing to allow you the time to bring this thing together, then I say have at it. but they are going to have to understand that the length of time needed to do this yourself will be determined by the data, the code and your experience in reading and writing (and re-writing) code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RCBricker, thank you ever such a lot for all of your help, it's very much appreciated.

I will speak to them about getting MS Project Manager that way I can do it easily in there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back