Excel gets slower/ramps up CPU usage as you scroll through and edit biggest worksheet

ali_brook

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a problem that I find difficult to describe, so bear with me...

I am on Office 365 with Windows 10.

I have a workbook with 11 worksheets and 6 hidden worksheets that I use frequently as part of my job - I customise it and edit it to show the position of the products we sell. It can get to about 6MB in size.

What I have noticed recently is when I generate a larger file, as I scroll down the largest worksheet, editing as I go, it gets progressively slower the further you go down the sheet. At the start, I can overwrite cells instantaneously, but the further down the sheet you go, the slower it gets, and once you get past row ~1000 or so, it can take 10-15 seconds for the action to happen - even longer for copying and pasting multiple sales.

This has only started to happen fairly recently - within the last month.

Any help would be appreciated!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Try doing the same thing while running with EXCEL offline. I know Office 365 has some problems with speed when connected to the internet.

Upvote 0
I have had issues like this myself. Go through each sheet and go to the last row. Once there select all cells below it. Then hit clear all. I have found there maybe trash in cells which cause the size of the document to be larger than what it should be. Then save, close and reopen. Then see what happens. Also check your workbook size before and after.

Upvote 0
If you have a lot of sheets with lots of data that is all connected/linked to each other, then what you really may have is a "relational database", and it may be time to start considering using a relational database program like Microsoft Access or SQL. They are designed for that sort of thing and generally perform much better.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back