Excel hanging

garyfritz

I'm doing some research on stock prices. I'm using the AlphaVantage add-in (Excel Add-on | Alpha Vantage) to source the price history. Currently I have 13 sheets of stock data with about 5000 lines -- large, but nothing extraordinary. Most of that space is populated by an AlphaVantage call in a single cell, spilling over to provide 4975 days of Date/Open/High/Low/Close/AdjClose/Volume/Split history. Then I have another sheet that does a bunch of calculations on that history.

The AV plugin is a bit flaky. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes a sheet that was full of data suddenly shows an #ERROR in the AV cell and the spillover data vanishes. Usually I can fix it by copying the cell and pasting it back in again. (!?) Annoying, and I'd love to hear if anyone has a solution. But that's not my major problem.

The big problem is, Excel keeps hanging. Sometimes I can work on it for hours and it's fine. Sometimes I can freshly start Excel and open the spreadsheet, and it hangs within a minute or three. I have to kill Excel and restart, which is mighty annoying and sometimes loses data.

Surely this can't be caused by 14 sheets x 5000 lines? I suspect the AV plugin, and/or maybe the spillover logic is less than bombproof?

I would use the STOCKHISTORY function, but as far as I can tell it doesn't handle splits and dividends.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
As hanging may mean working so the more webpages to query the longer to execute …​
As you are using a specific add-on so the better is to report your issue to its author like preconised in your link.​

Upvote 0
No, it's not just a "working, I'll get to you in a minute" situation. It's GONE and never comes back. I've let it sit for an hour and it was still hung.

And unfortunately the AlphaVantage vendor doesn't support their freebie offering very well. Like, at all.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back