Excel has started freezing / stalling when I merely copy a range

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
When I highlight a range I want to copy and type Ctrl-C, the entire application freezes, and my mouse cursor becomes a spinner icon (i.e. indicating that Excel is thinking/processing), which prevents me from interacting with Excel at all...this usually lasts between 30 and 120 seconds before the program un-freezes and allows me to proceed with the copied range. Any thoughts as to what's going on, here?

This only started happening recently even though I haven't changed my workbook in ages. Yes, this happens when I'm copying a relatively large range (e.g. happened just now when I Ctrl-C'd to copy an 18-column x 7,400 rows)...but that doesn't seem like the sort of thing that should freeze Excel for 2+ minutes, and my machine has more than enough memory (16G RAM) with few other processes running. And like I said, this only started happening in the last week or so.

Any way to troubleshoot what's going on here?

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I confirm it should happen.
What is the total size of the file? It is sometime to decrease it drastically by erasing all empty lines (select last one then
CTRL+Shift+down and erase)
and column (CTRL+****+right). If file is still large after doing that (above 50MB let's say), putting calculation in manual before copy-paste and then back to automatic might be an annoying solution until restructuring the file.

Another possibility I think of for a freeze is an automatic launch of macro's on certain events. You can check that by wright-click the sheet name and then view code. If it is empty on the right, it is not that.

Finally f nothing works, copy-pasting each groups of cells in a new workbook can do the trick.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back