Excel IF formula with various conditions

tropics123

Board Regular
Hi, any advice to get this formula to work is greatly appreciated. Assuming the header "Name" starts on cell A1.

Here is what I'm trying to do. For example, let's look at the employee named Bob. If his "Type of Employment" (column C) is:
1) Part time then the result will say "Category 2"
2) Seasonal then the result will say "Category 2"
3) Full time then the result will say "Category 2"
4) If it's none of those then the result will say "None"

Here's my formula. I only want to look up partial word such as "part" or "full" or "seasonal". At one point, the answer was showing "None" no matter what and then I tweaked it some more and now it doesn't work.

=IF(INDEX(A2:C5,MATCH("Bob",A2:A5,0),MATCH("Type of Employment",A1:C1,0))="*part*","Category 2",INDEX(A2:C5,MATCH("Bob",A2:A5,0),MATCH("Type of Employment",A1:C1,0))="*seasonal*","Category 2",INDEX(A2:C5,MATCH("Bob",A2:A5,0),MATCH("Type of Employment",A1:C1,0))="*full*","Category 1","None")

NameMemberType of Employment
BobYesPart time
MaryYesFull time
WoodyYesPart time
DylanNoSeasonal or Temp

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hey, is this something that you're looking to achieve?

CheaperWasteMappingDocument.xlsx
ABCDE
1NameMemberType of EmploymentO365 FormulaOther Method
2BobYesPart timeCategory 2Category 2
3MaryYesFull timeNoneNone
4WoodyYesPart timeNoneNone
5DylanNoSeasonal or TempNoneNone
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D5D2=IF(AND(A2="Bob",OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"part","full","seasonal"},C2)))),"Category 2","None")
E2:E5E2=IF(AND(A2="Bob",OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("part",C2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("full",C2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("seasonal",C2)))),"Category 2","None")

I think the formula in column D needs O365 but not 100% sure on that! But E should be usable for most versions.

Upvote 0
Hey, is this something that you're looking to achieve?

ABCDE
1NameMemberType of EmploymentO365 FormulaOther Method
2BobYesPart timeCategory 2Category 2
3MaryYesFull timeNoneNone
4WoodyYesPart timeNoneNone
5DylanNoSeasonal or TempNoneNone
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D5D2=IF(AND(A2="Bob",OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"part","full","seasonal"},C2)))),"Category 2","None")
E2:E5E2=IF(AND(A2="Bob",OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("part",C2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("full",C2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("seasonal",C2)))),"Category 2","None")

I think the formula in column D needs O365 but not 100% sure on that! But E should be usable for most versions.
Hi @tyija1995 , if the result for "Type of Employment" is "Full time", then the answer needs to show "Category 1". Sorry, I typed wrong the first time.

Here is what I'm trying to do. For example, let's look at the employee named Bob. If his "Type of Employment" (column C) is:
3) Full time then the result will say "Category 1" <- typo ed

Upvote 0
3) Full time then the result will say "Category 2"

Hey, so is this initial post you put a bit of a typo then? As now you're saying full time should result in "Category 1"?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I typed wrong. Please see my most recent correction. Yes, "Category 1". Sorry about the confusion.

OK that's not a problem, also are your answers going to be different based on the person? Or is it always category 1 for "full time" regardless of whether it is "Bob" or not?

Upvote 0
OK that's not a problem, also are your answers going to be different based on the person? Or is it always category 1 for "full time" regardless of whether it is "Bob" or not?
Hi @tyija1995, yes the answer will be different. In my original sheet, the formula is reading from cell B2 and whatever name that goes into that cell. It could be Dylan then the result should be Category 2. And if it's Mary, then result should be Category 1. Hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
OK so just to summarise, if a member is full time then they are category 1, otherwise category 2? Is this correct?
Then if part time/seasonal member is category 2, what about non-member in this case? Just need to clarify this criteria.

Upvote 0
OK so just to summarise, if a member is full time then they are category 1, otherwise category 2? Is this correct?
Then if part time/seasonal member is category 2, what about non-member in this case? Just need to clarify this criteria.
That is correct. However, if there's a new employee "Betty" and let's say HR forgets to enter Betty's info in "Type of Employment" and either left it blank or puts in "N/A", then the answer should say "None" because it doesn't belong in either Category 1 or 2.

Upvote 0
OK so something like this if I have understood criteria correctly at this point...

ABCD
1NameMemberType of EmploymentFormula
2BobYesPart timeCategory 2
3MaryYesFull timeCategory 1
4WoodyYesPart timeCategory 2
5DylanNoSeasonal or TempCategory 1
6BettyYesNone
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D6D2=IF(AND(B2="Yes",OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"part","seasonal"},C2)))),"Category 2",IF(AND(B2="Yes",ISNUMBER(SEARCH("full",C2))),"Category 1",IF(AND(B2="No",OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"part","seasonal"},C2)))),"Category 1",IF(AND(B2="No",ISNUMBER(SEARCH("full",C2))),"Category 2","None"))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back