Excel If function not functioning if reference a named range

bisel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I cannot find a relevant post.

I have a simple IF function where I compare a value of a cell to a named range (also a single cell). Like this ...

=IF(AM$268 > display_years,TRUE,FALSE) ... display_years is the named range that is a single cell.

In the case above, the named range, "display_years" = 15 and the value of cell AM$268 = 2047, but the result of the logical test is FALSE.

If I remove all references to a named range, the logical test will work fine. For example,

=IF(AM$268 > $AQ$264,TRUE,FALSE) ... where $AQ$264 = 15, the result of the logical test is TRUE

Can some one explain why this happening?

Thanks,

Steve

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Are you sure that "display_years" refers to AQ264 ?

Upvote 0
No it doesn't. Display_years refers to another cell on a different sheet

steve

Upvote 0
Is it possible that AM268 and/or display_years are string values?

What do =ISNUMBER(AM268) and =ISNUMBER(display_years) return?

What is the definition of display_years? If it a reference to a cell with a formula, what is that formula?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have found a work around and it may be the definitive answer. The cell that the named range was referring to in the IF statement (function) is part of a range of cells that are referenced in another, unrelated function, that is a LOOKUP function. If I create the IF statement using a named range that is not part of the range referenced by the LOOKUP function, it works just fine. Ultimately, that is what I have done to resolve this problem. It seems odd that this works, but one of many odd things that I have found that occur in Excel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have found a work around and it may be the definitive answer. The cell that the named range was referring to in the IF statement (function) is part of a range of cells that are referenced in another, unrelated function, that is a LOOKUP function. If I create the IF statement using a named range that is not part of the range referenced by the LOOKUP function, it works just fine. Ultimately, that is what I have done to resolve this problem. It seems odd that this works, but one of many odd things that I have found that occur in Excel.

"Odd things" should be exposed, if they are just that, "odd things".

What does the following do?

What do you get with the following?

=COUNT(display_years)

=COUNTA(display_years)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back