Excel is saving hundreds of times in a session.

DH888

Board Regular
I don't know what I've done to Excel but some of my new spreadsheets are behaving in a way that Excel has never behaved. EVERY TIME I do almost anything, copy, cut, click format painter, paste into a new cell Excel will first SAVE and I can see it saving in the bar at the bottom and then it will save again. This takes about 30 seconds give or take. TIMES a hundred we'll call it A DAY. For something that used to take literally NO TIME. I never sat for ONE second waiting to copy or paste into a new cell. to go from one second to sitting waiting at least 30 every time I do anythihg related to spreadsheets is an inconcievable ratio. Also I can't understand why it's taking so long to save anyway. spreadsheets are not exactly huge in SIZE and I'm saving to an SSD so I can't understand how it'sn to just INSTANT.

I'm ready to ditch Excel because I can't live with this. It's mind blowing how much I HATE using Excel right now even though it's literally my favorite application. Even over email or web browsers or Google all of which obviously I love as well.
My older spreadsheets are not doing this only the new ones so I know I've changed a setting to MAKE this happen but I don't know what setting it is and I've looked and looked and I can't see what would do that.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you so much for your help and have a fantastic day.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Do you have any macros in the spreadsheet ??
Have you changed any settings?
Have you tried the workbook on a different machine to see if it causes the same problem ?
Have you looked at File>>Options>>Save>>what is the autosave set to ??

Upvote 0
Do you have any macros in the spreadsheet ??
Have you changed any settings?
Have you tried the workbook on a different machine to see if it causes the same problem ?
Have you looked at File>>Options>>Save>>what is the autosave set to ??

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for responding.

I don't have a single macro in there and there's no VB or any other scripting. There's 11 worksheets in the workbook but it's all formulae.
Another think I noticed. I copied one of the sheets to a different workbook and the same thing that has been happening constantly immediately stopped meaning it doesn't happen in the new workbook.

I then tried to delete the sheet since I was planning on transferring all the sheets to the new workbook but for some odd reason I can't delete the sheet from the workbook.

I also noticed when I checked the options for saving the save autorecover option is greyed out. It has save autorecover information every 5 minutes checked which I did set when I installed excel but I can't uncheck it and I never change that setting so it's as it should be but I don't know why it's greyed out.
Never say that before. This is a macro enabled workbook (xlsm) because I often do use macros and VB but I've never had this issue and I ALWAYS use macro enabled workbooks.

You know i recently messing with the settings a little but I didn't change much and I did go back in and try to find what I've done but I can't see anything that even sounds like it would do this.
Also and I think this is relevant I've checked a bunch of my other workbooks and they don't do this. Also the new workbook I just created didn't do it so it doesn't seem like a setting change to me. That would effect all workbooks and especially new workbooks.
But I don't know what would make this happen. Also, I usually just close and then accept the offer to save.
When I do that with this workbook it saves THREE TIMES.

I've never noticed that before and I've been using excel for 20 years.

Upvote 0
It sounds like the workbook has become corrupted, Try copying each sheet into the new workbook and test BEFORE copying another sheet across.
It may be that only one of the sheets is corrupted !!

Upvote 0
Hey Michael,

Smile.
I just did that and was coming to let you know the results so good suggestion.

It is weird though. It was going fine every sheet worked no double saving weirdness. Then I was copying a sheet over and it gave me this weird message about Kutools. But the weird part is that I don't even have Kutools installed anymore and it's been uninstalled for over two years. I had to uninstall it because it shorted out the CTRL+F1 shortcut to hide the toolbar. But this has never happened for ANY other spreadsheet or workbook. The saving thing happened in all of the sheets in the workbook and it really didn't seem corrupted because I use 7 of the sheets in that workbook every day. I don't know the message it was asking somethign about there's already a copy of kutools something do I want to overwrite it or use the one in the destination workbook. I definitely didn't want to do either because I don't know what that means. I tried to abort but it would not let me. I couldn't close either excel instance. I was in a loop I kept getting the same message so I crashed excel and started again.

Now I have successfully transfered all the sheets to the new workbook and it work perfectly. It's so weird I was JUST talking to Kutools about the issue I just told you about even though this happened over 2 years ago I was reengaged when I came across their Office tab application. It's a weird coincidence.

So I used two intermediary workbooks to make sure I wasn't transferring anything nefarious over.
Now that it's done the new workbook with all the tabs is only 4285KB but the original is 22908 KB
I have no idea what's in there. I kept a copy. I'm curious so I might do some exploring to try to figure out what's different. so I now have my favorite application back at full health.

Some of the sheets were daily OHLC tables of the entire history of the Dow, the S&P500 and the NASDAQ. All since inception. I may have inadvertently brought something in when I copied it over.
But it seems to be gone now.

Thank you so much for your help.

The PC industry is amazing in how people help each other out it really says there's a lot more good out there than bad if people could just do what they want. Which seems to be helping people. It's a very good thing.

Have a FANTASTIC weekend.

Upvote 0
Michael I just thought of another thing I've been trying to figure out if you don't mind helping and you have the knowledge. I can't find an answer online maybe you know this one.
I have trading results for different stocks and ETFs in a table in separate columns.
I want to reach across all the columns and use whichever one has a number in it and use the number in a formula.

So under J,K,L,M,N one of them will have a number on each row down the whole page depending on which issue THAT row is for. I want to retrieve the value from whichever column it's under and use it in a formula from the 5 columns or however many there are in that days table. I'll then use that number in a formula to divide it by the number of shares on that trade. It lets me know the cents per share I made or lost on a trade. It's a better way to gauge whether a trade was well timed or well executed than the dollar amount because of different position sizes.

Know how I can do it?
And thanks if you do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you either, post a small sample of data, with the expected result. ?..see the XL2BB button in the reply toolbar, for doing this
OR
Upload the workbook / sheet to a hosting site, Dropbox for instance, and then post a link to that file back here.
I'm sure someone will take a look and help out, if I can't !!

Upvote 0
Can you either, post a small sample of data, with the expected result. ?..see the XL2BB button in the reply toolbar, for doing this
OR
Upload the workbook / sheet to a hosting site, Dropbox for instance, and then post a link to that file back here.
I'm sure someone will take a look and help out, if I can't !!
I actually figured out a very simple way of doing it.
I just created a sum formula to sum all the column and divide by the number of shares in the trade. It works fine because there will only ever be a number one of the columns so the result will always be correct.
Thank you for the offer and thanks again for taking the time to help out a fellow traveler.

Take care.
David

Upvote 0
glad you managed to get it solved..?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back