Excel LIES! Cells copied from different workbooks are showing wrong as is print preview

Will S

Board Regular
Heya,

I'm having an issue getting an array of cells that (the contents and range of which can change rapidly) from one work book to another and getting some quite strange results.

Firstly I tried to just copy over the entire thing but it seems that the two workbooks have different formats or something as one can only nest 7 IF functions, the other can, after looking at it one is a "Compatibility mode" the other is not, is there anyway around this, I don't want to risk copying and pasting the entire workbook into a new file as there are a lot of things embedded in there that I don't want to risk losing but if that's the only way I'm willing?

As the data required involves a lot of IF functions that are "overly nested" I tried other options. I tried the basic ='[Otherworkbook.xlsm]Sheet'!H4 etc, this mostly worked. On a few cells it would display different values to what was on the original sheet, I think it was just taking values from above it. I tried entering in the formula manually and it returned a different number, still not correct. I have no idea about this one, the original sheet involves some minor iteration that might be the problem but I'm stumped.

As I just needed to see the section of the other workbook I tried a picture link and leaving a note to change the print area (Or was going to look into a macro) but it seems as there is so much of the picture that is out of the print area it just isn't recognising it as being on the page and thus printing a blank page, despite it showing perfectly on the preview.

I don't mind if the picture is cut (So long as it's to the right size and can change automatically), the print size is changed or I manage to get a copy of the table cells into the other workbook, I just need something that shows the right data and I can print it out, as it stands if I just have the picture link showing the entire box it takes lots of time scaling and adjusting it so the array is anything more than a small spec on a page.

Any help on this is very much appreciated as I'm running out of ideas.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Older versions of Excel only allowed 7 nested IF:s. Maybe try to rewrite the formula so it's not so much nested?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back