Excel lookup riddle

MrMartiens

Good day all,

I am facing a Ecxel lookup challenge which is keeping me awake. Hopefully someone will be able to give me back my nigh rest ;)

Here is the situation:

I have a lists with shipments, for which I know which carrier transported it and I know what the weight was. All I need in addition is the rate for this shipment.

In a second file I have a list with rates per carrier, per (so-called) weight breaks.

I now need to do a lookup where the shipment's carrier matches, and the shipment's weight falls withing a certain weight range, and then return the rate.

In the example below I have tried to clarify it.

I will need to perform a lookup for cell C3, which will return the value 280, as the carrier XYZ matches, and the weight (800) falls within the specified weight break (600-1000).

Does anybody know how I can create a formula which will help me get this value returned?

Thanks a lot in advance!

i2tu88.jpg

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
This is a job for good old SUMPRODUCT. In C3 try this

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$11:$A$14=A3), --($B$11:$B$14<=B3), --($C$11:$C$14>=B3), $D$11:$D$14)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An alternative:

=INDEX(D11:D14,MATCH(1,INDEX((A11:A14=A4)*(B4>=B11:B14)*(B4 < C11:C14),),FALSE))

Formula edited.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good day!

Thanks for your quick reply! It's a relief to see that there will be a solution for this. I copy-pasted your formula in C3, however, I'm getting "0" as a result.

Do I need to modify the formula in any way before it will work?

Thanks a lot for your support!

Upvote 0
Good day all,

I am facing a Ecxel lookup challenge which is keeping me awake. Hopefully someone will be able to give me back my nigh rest ;)

Here is the situation:

I have a lists with shipments, for which I know which carrier transported it and I know what the weight was. All I need in addition is the rate for this shipment.

In a second file I have a list with rates per carrier, per (so-called) weight breaks.

I now need to do a lookup where the shipment's carrier matches, and the shipment's weight falls withing a certain weight range, and then return the rate.

In the example below I have tried to clarify it.

I will need to perform a lookup for cell C3, which will return the value 280, as the carrier XYZ matches, and the weight (800) falls within the specified weight break (600-1000).

Does anybody know how I can create a formula which will help me get this value returned?

Thanks a lot in advance!

i2tu88.jpg
Andrew's suggestion is victimized by the html parser... Here is something that is equivalent to it:

Control+shift+enter, not just enter...
Rich (BB code):
=INDEX($D$11:$D$14,MATCH(1,IF($A$11:$A$14=A3,
  IF(B3 >= $B$11:$B$14,IF(B3 < $C$11:$C$14,1))),0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back