Excel Macro - How to filter on a copied value that changes

Excelquestion35

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Currently, I am working on a macro that should update a master file. In this master file a new row should be added with old data (i.e. a row with the right characteristics that will be copied and inserted as a new row) and updated with data from another form. The essence is that master file keeps track of all current first line managers. The form is used to communicate changes in first line managers.

For instance, when I have John replacing Maria that both work in operation Kellogs. A form will be filled in by the Kellogs operation and giving details about John and who he will replace.

For this I want to create a macro. My macro will first go the form and then see that Maria from Kellogs will be replaced. Thus, the macro should copy the value 'Kellogs' and use it as a textfilter in column B in the master file to only find the first line managers of Kellogs. The same steps have to repeated for finding Maria in column C.
When her row (as a first line manager for Kellogs) is found by the macro. The macro should copy the entire row, insert the row and update some of the cells in the different columns for this new row (the name of John, his ID, state that John is the succesor of Maria) etc.

My question is however:
- How can I filter inside a macro on dynamic value (thus the one that I copied) that changes every time a form is filled in? This time it is Kellogs but next time it can be Heinz for example.
- Same question for the case that is not Maria but another First line manager?
- As you can see in the code below, the filter uses *'s for using the contains text filter. How can I still use the contains text filter but then with a value that changes every time a new form is filled in?

I pasted below the code of the filtering, as you can see it will always look for this specific value, but this should be changed based on what is inside cells (C17 & C18):

VBA Code:
Sub FLM_1()
'
' FLM_1 Macro
'

'
    Sheets("FLM-change").Select
    Range("C17").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("FLMs").Select
    ActiveSheet.Range("$B$3:$AS$66").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:= _
        "=*Kellogs*", Operator:=xlAnd
    Sheets("FLM-change").Select
    Range("C18").Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("FLMs").Select
    ActiveSheet.Range("$B$3:$AS$66").AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:= _
        "=Maria", Operator:=xlAnd
End Sub

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
When using VBA to do things you can achieve the same effect as filtering by using a loop to find the row you are looking for, This is usually much easier to deal with with vba than trying to do it with filtering
This code should select the row which matches the manager and operations athat are given in C17 and C18:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
inarr = ActiveSheet.Range("$B$1:$AS$66") ' load all the data into a variant array NOTE starting from row1
manager = Range("C17")
ops = Range("C18")
For i = 3 To 66   ' start loop at row 3
   If inarr(i, 1) = manager And inarr(i, 2) = ops Then ' we have found the row
    Range(Cells(i, 2), Range(i, 45)).Select ' do whatewver you need to do on this row
    Exit For
   End If
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back