Excel Macro to Periodically Check Windows Control Panel

John Yazou

Hi all,
My company has decided to perform some trickery whereby everynight, all computer settings would be changed automagically via some script to a standard.

Problem is, we have a machine which has a rather unique Internet settings (In the Ctrl Panel). Since its a 24/7 machine, as you can imagine, its quite tedious to come in every day just to re-enter the correct Internet settings.

I was thinking of running an Excel macro (yes, I know, a proper program would be better - but, company policy says no unauthorized *.exe can be executed).

Is there a way to write a macro which say every 1 hour checks the control panel settings, and resets the settings where necessary??

John

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi John, sounds like you work for the same telecom firm I do!

sorry, but Excel VBA works only in Excel. However, you can circumvent the rule you spoke of by learning WSH (Windows Scripting Host).

I'm not sure what settings you need to keep in IE, but you might check to see if saving particular folders from IE and then writting scripts that restores those might help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back