Excel Message When Opening Files

autigers2010

Hello. When opening Excel files that contain links to other files, I often get a message in the lower right of my screen that says "Linking: (file name)" with a status bar (please see attached photo). This would not be a problem except that Excel seems to "pause" at this point for several minutes, meaning that it can take forever to open files, even relatively small ones.

Can any tell me why this happens, why it seems to take so long and how (if at all) it can be disabled?

Additional info that may be relevant:
1) I'm using Excel 2016
2) The files I am opening have links to more than 1 other file, but Excel seems to pick one of the linked files at random to give me the "Linking" message above
3) And Excel only displays the message for one of the linked files, not all of them.
4) It doesn't happen if the linked files are open, but opening each of the linked files each time is not practical for me.

Thank you.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

autigers2010

Sorry, I see now that the attempt to include an attachment did not work, and that I cannot post attachment.

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Welcome to the Board!

You cannot upload files to this site. But there are tools you can use to post screen images. They are listed in Section B of this link here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-a...forum-use.html.
Also, there is a Test Here forum on this board that you can use to test out these tools to make sure they are working correctly before using them in your question.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmuir12

This Week's Hot Topics

• Copy entire row if CountA <>0 to another sheet
    [B]I want to copy entire row if CountA <>0 for column J7:AM7 (headers on J6:AM6) and so on till the last used cell is column D and paste the...
  • Select last used Row in Table
    I have created a Table in a Worksheet which is locked to prevent user errors and protect formula. Some of the cells require freetext entries which...
  • excel workbook: do not allow certain file name
    Hello all, Don't think this has ever been asked before, but how do I restrict file save [Before_Save Event] if the name of the file being saved...
  • fixing problem autofilter
    hello i need help about my code when i search by code in textbox it doesn't show anything this is my data [ATTACH type="full"...
  • “Weight”
    Hi, i’ve got a long sheet filled with weights such as kg,g,L & ml. i can build a formula to convert kg into g and liter into ml. How ever, my...
  • How to capitalize everything before a certain character?
    In column A, I have some text: Hello good day.mp3 Hello good day.flac etc. I'd like to capitalize everything before the period. I don't need the...