Excel misbehaving - paste special and style problems?

summer

hi everyone - I have a general Excel 2007 problem.

I have a workbook which worked fine until now.

I use 'save as' at the end of each month to create a new workbook for the current month whilst retaining all the macros etc.

worked fine past few months.

however this month I have found 2 problems - not sure if they are connected.

problem 1. my workbook did its 'save as' thing ok but when I try to use cut and paste from a different workbook I have to use 'paste special' and select 'text'. It hasn't done this in the past. Copying within the same workbook is fine.

problem 2. If I try to do 'save as' a 2nd time (ie to get a dummy copy to work on whilst trying to solve problem 1. the new copy has to be 'recovered' by excel and the recovered version has lost all the pervious formatting. I get this from the online help they give you:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- <recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
<logFileName>error053040_01.xml</logFileName>

<summary>Errors were detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\Perf June 09.xlsm'</summary>

- <removedRecords summary="Following is a list of removed records:">
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Style from /xl/styles.xml part (Styles)</removedRecord>

</removedRecords>

- <repairedRecords summary="Following is a list of repairs:">
<repairedRecord>Repaired Records: Format from /xl/styles.xml part (Styles)</repairedRecord>

</repairedRecords>

</recoveryLog>

does anyone have any ideas about what is going on? I hate it when things 'just change' lol

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Problem 1 will happen if the workbooks are in different instances of Excel. In other words Paste Special is behaving as if you are pasting from another application, not from Excel.

Upvote 0
check your default save-as save=as=type
I have had this change on me and give similar problems

Upvote 0
I had to remake the workbooks from scratch - I used cut and paste so not too bad, but still an effort. I think the workbooks had somehow become corrupt, which may be why the ctrl-V etc didn't work - ie the wb was corrupt so not appearing to be a wb to the 2nd wb....sort of like what Andrew said.

thanks everyone :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back