excel newbie help

angie301

...this may hav been covered before so i will appreciate if sme 1 can direct me to it or jus lemme hav it here

so i have 2 excel work sheets, they both have 10,000+ records. one of the sheets has been supplied to me by a medical company, n their listing is by names and cert# . our records list names and account #. the problem wit our records (or the records i have to work wit) is that 1 record uses 3 rows wen i convert it from a txt file.

a record from the medical company also picks up more than one row cause they hav 'sub' info for a particular person

the prob is that the 2 sheets that suppose to be saying the same ting isn't. the dollar value is way off...

how do i compare these 2 sheet so that i can identify wer it is off? or who doesn't belong?

btw, we are using office 2000 (i dont knw why)

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
hi - welcome to the board.

If the 'unique key' between the two lists is name, but they're not formatted the same, then you're going to need to give us a few examples before anything meaningful can be said...

Upvote 0
well i was able to pull out just names and a number - like a list of names from sheet1 wit a certificate # and sheet 2 which has a list of names and ac#.
( im thinking jus to do a quick report so i can hand up sumptin )

so - how do i match these names and pull out the odd one?

Upvote 0
feel free to send me any 'eaiser' tips or links for me to go (google not being too friendly to me 2day)

i was also told i can do an "OALP query" ...not too sure bout that - wat r ur thoughts?

Upvote 0
Please give us an example of the data & use it to take us through exactly what you're trying to achieve - we need the details, not just the form of your problem to make specific recommendations...

Upvote 0
20091020165154_1.JPG

20091020165914_2.JPG

took me a while - had to edit name n #s

this is jus a small portion of wat i hav to deal with

Upvote 0
so, you don't have names in the same format in the two sheets. Ergo, you can't match them.

Upvote 0
well dat was easy to get the names to look the same

jack&" * "&mary to get jack * mary

....i still cant merg this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back