Excel no longer likes filters

Churchy LaFemme

Board Regular
This is kind of a vague question. I have been using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 for however long. This is a work computer and updated and patched regularly.

As of a couple of weeks ago, Excel will stop responding probably 60% of the time if I try to use a filter. Even on small, simple spreadsheets with no data connections and no imported data. This happens both with filters and sorting within tables or named ranges.

This can happen when I apply one filter to a simple range.

Before I convince IT to reinstall or repair my Excel, are there any quick fixes or tips and tricks known to address Excel deciding to "Stop responding" when filters are applied.

Historically, this doesn't happen. I can have five files open, some with linked data from Access or other workbooks, and filter all the live long day without any problems.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Does your table contain formulas? I'll occasionally see hang ups when filtering tables where 1 or more fields are formula filled (either from the formula being a bit hairy or just having a large number of them). Clearing them before filtering or sorting the data on the fields you filter on can reduce the strain on resources

I would not expect problems to happen when filtering small simple tables though

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does your table contain formulas?

Some do not. My original thought was data connections were causing problems. But even if I kill links and connections and copy past everything in a table to values, bad things happen. I'm starting to wonder if one of our tools, like AS2, is causing the problem but I'm the only one my group with the issue.

Thanks for your help. I don't see any solution beside a reinstall at this point.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back