Excel Not Filling Formula Correctly Down Column - Blank Row Needed

Skiier89

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have a list of 100 names displayed vertically in a sheet. I need to modify this list so that there is a blank row between each name (this modified list is then transposed elsewhere in the workbook).

Leaving plenty of space from the original list, my formula is simply =A1 in the first row. The second row is blank. I select both the row that has a formula and then the blank row I've added below. When I drag this selection down, I would expect (and have achieved in the past) Excel to understand there is a blank row included in the selection. For example:

A500 = A1
A501 = Blank row
A502 = A2
A503 = Blank row
A504 = A3
A505 = Blank row

Selecting this section and dragging down worked 6 months ago. The formulas and method did not change, however there are more names in the list now. So when I go to continue the selection, Excel does this instead -

A500 = A1
A501 = Blank row
A502 = A3
A503 = Blank row
A504 = A5

Is anyone able to describe why this is happening or resolve this issue? I understand there are formulas (MOD() and Index()) out there to work around issues like this, however I did not use any function like this originally. I have the same version of Excel installed on my computer, but this method is no longer working. What could be causing Excel to skip a row in the original list instead of recognizing there is a blank row included in the selection I want copied down?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
FYI - this is happening even when I try replacing the blank row with the value equal to the row above it.. Excel is literally skipping over sequential data. For example:

A500 = A1
A501 = A500
A502 = A3
A503 = A502
A504 = A5
A505 = A504

Once again, nothing I did in the past has changed. I'm simply repeating the sequence, and Excel is literally skipping out of sequence. The value in A502 should be = A2 NOT = A3

Upvote 0
Selecting this section and dragging down worked 6 months ago.
You must have been doing something different back then*. Excel has always behaved as you are describing it now when dragging such a formula down.

* For example, if you put 1 in a cell and then select that cell and the blank cell below it and drag that down, you will get the sequence 1, blank, 2, blank, 3, blank etc - but that does not involve a formula.

I understand there are formulas (MOD() and Index()) out there ..
I think that you will need one of those or similar. For example this in A500 then select A500:A501 and drag down

Excel Formula:
=INDEX(A$1:A$100,(ROWS(A$500:A500)+1)/2)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back