excel not finding file with *

jordanburch

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hey everyone

I have the following path.

Workbooks.Open ("K:\SHARED\TRANSFER\Enterprise Wide Suspense Initiative\Source Files\CRIS\" & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A4").Value & "\" & Left(ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A1").Value, 6) & "\" & "*.xlsx")

The path looks just fine and works on a different month, however this month it just says it cant find that file and shows it with the above path and the *.xlsx like the file should be named *.xlsx vs the acutal file name. Its the only file inside that path and I want it to open that file and just put the * it seemed to work before but now it doesnt that I tried it in a new month. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
You cannot use a wildcard like that, try
VBA Code:
Dim Fname As String

Fname = Dir("K:\SHARED\TRANSFER\Enterprise Wide Suspense Initiative\Source Files\CRIS\" & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A4").Value & "\" & Left(ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A1").Value, 6) & "\" & "*.xlsx")
If Fname <> "" Then Workbooks.Open Fname

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Dim Fname As String

Fname = Dir("K:\SHARED\TRANSFER\Enterprise Wide Suspense Initiative\Source Files\CRIS\" & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A4").Value & "\" & Left(ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A1").Value, 6) & "\" & "*.xlsx")
thanks fluff! I tried that but it doesnt seem to open anything up? it skips to the next part but it doesnt download any file nor open any file. any ideas? the next part is trying to select a worksheet in that book and it doesnt find it because its not opening the file.

Upvote 0
If you add a message box showing the value of Fname what does it say?

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Dim Fname As String

VBA Code:
Sub CRISimport()
Dim wb As Workbook

'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A1").Value = InputBox("Enter month I.E. 08-MAY20", Default:="08-MAY20")
'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A3").Value = Right(ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A1").Value, 5)
'
'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A3").Value = "FY" & Right(ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A3").Value, 2)
'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A4").Value = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A3").Value
Dim Fname As String

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Sheets("3875 Indy").Select
    Sheets("3875 Indy").Copy After:=Workbooks("Suspense automation.xlsm").Sheets(2)

End Sub

thats the whole code

Upvote 0
In that case what this return
VBA Code:
MsgBox "K:\SHARED\TRANSFER\Enterprise Wide Suspense Initiative\Source Files\CRIS\" & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A4").Value & "\" & Left(ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A1").Value, 6) & "\"

Upvote 0
In that case what this return
VBA Code:
MsgBox "K:\SHARED\TRANSFER\Enterprise Wide Suspense Initiative\Source Files\CRIS\" & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A4").Value & "\" & Left(ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A1").Value, 6) & "\"
so weird thing is they change the file path structure going forward. I think I figured it out that I need a totally different variable. This got me on the right track. Thanks fluff! Will update in the morning! Have a great evening sir!

Jordan

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.
Morning Fluff! So I got the path corrected. It not is saying run time error 1004 cannot find file CRIS TI97 3875 JAN 2020.xlsx

I believe that is the correct filename it looks right. Not sure why its erroring out there.

Jordan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back