Excel on the Mac

mortgageman

I was recently in an Apple store and was checking out the Mac. I went into Excel and aside from the fact that it looked nothing like Excel on the pc, I couldn't find a way to get into the VBA environment.

Basic question is this - Can I take a excel 2003 sheet - that has VBA macros - and run it on a Mac? (I'd rather know before I buy ;))

Thanks

Yes. My Excel 2008 is patched up to 12.1.1 and if you open a workbook with vba macros you still get the warning about them not working (and the option to remove them). <snip> :)

This sounds way dumb - not you Rorya, the Apple generated "option". What would be the point of removing macros, when, presumably, they are part of the spreadsheet design. I mean if they weren't being used, they wouldn't be there in the first place. So Apple's portability option is to allow users to run dangerously broken (since they might actually generate incorrect results, instead of only **name not found**) spreadsheets from the pc to their platform?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I assume it's an MS Generated option, not an Apple one, as it appears to be an Excel generated warning. It's pretty similar to the warning you get in 2007 if you try and save a workbook as .xlsx when it contains macros. (it's actually a handy feature in my opinion that you can strip all code out of a workbook just by saving it a particular way - a lot easier than trying to remove everything from the VBProject in code!)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back