Excel opens blank book along with existing file

Haggis2019

I have created a custom template and saved it to the XLSTART folder. This works great for creating new workbooks with my custom styles. Now when ever I double click to open an existing file the file opens but excel also creates and opens a new workbook. Is there any way to to make excel open my template when I create a new workbook and only open the existing file when a double click on it.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Move the templete out of XLSTART folder, all files in XLSTART folder will be opened when excel is started, put your templates in C:\Users\[yourprofilename]<your name="">\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates
Cheers
Sergio</your>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick reply unfortunately this does not solve the problem. I can now open an existing file without excel opening a blank workbook but when I start excel it opens the default template not my custom one. My template is not shown in the excel start screen options.

Upvote 0
I have managed to find a work round for this. I have put the template in "C:\Users\<user Name>\Documents\Custom Office Templates" and it now appears in the templates when I open excel. Seems like Microsoft has a whole load of places that you can save templates and they all do different things. I would prefer to have excel open this template without having to go through the start screen but I can live with this compromise.

Upvote 0
I didn't read the article I referenced, it just looked like on the surface as an article providing a great amount of detail on the subject.
Unless it has changed the default excel template file (which is modifiable) is to bear the filename "Book.xlxs" (without the quotes). WHERE this file resides is a mystery to me these days as MS continues to change where things go. LOL!!
Good luck.
Jim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back