Excel opens without a blank workbook (Book1) upon launch

gnrboyd

Hello,

I have a small problem with Excel that I can't seem to figure out. I'm using Windows 7 and Office 365. I've searched online for answers and can't seem to come up with anything to solve this problem.

Normally, when you launch Excel, you should see a blank workbook named Book1. When I launch Excel, I see the program but no workbooks are opened. (Just the gray background.) When I launch the program a second time, Book1 will then open. If I click it again, Book2 will open, etc. If I already have a saved Excel file open and click the Excel Icon,
Book1 opens. I can open Excel files with no problem. The issue only seems to appear when I don't have Excel open at all and then launch the program.

I've tried the basic repair function as well as the full repair of Office 365 and that has not solved the issue.

I do not use the Personal Macro Workbook although I did a test as was able to make Book1 appear when using it. I recorded a do-nothing macro and saved the Personal Macro Workbook which then appeared in the Excel Startup folder (XLSTART). When I opened Excel, Book1 appeared and the Personal Macro Workbook was hidden. I then deleted the Personal Macro Workbook from the XLSTART folder and I was right back to the same behavior as before.

The test seems to point to the issue being related to the Personal Macro Workbook. However, most of the other users in the office do not use the Personal Macro Workbook but yet when they launch Excel, Book1 opens as it should. Basically, I just need to have Excel open Book1 upon launch without the need for the Personal Macro Workbook.

This isn't a huge problem but more of an annoyance that will drive my crazy until I can get it fixed. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.

This isn't what I'm looking for. I do not use the template view (as shown in your video link) which is the default when Excel is first installed. I turned that "feature" off and have used it that way for years. When I launch Excel, it should open a blank Book1 directly as explained above. My issue seems to be related to a setting or perhaps a corrupt or missing file but I'm really not sure which is why I posted on this forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back