Excel pauses 2-3 seconds after enter data in a cell

au2010

Hello. I'm having a problem with one specific Excel file. Excel seems to "pause" (become non-responsive) for 2-3 seconds after I type a number or text in a cell and then press "Enter" or an arrow key to move to another cell. It's almost as if Excel is recalculating - but recalculation is set to Manual.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Some additional info that may be relevant:

1) The problem only happens with one specific file. It doesn't affect other Excel workbooks, even other workbooks that are open at the same time.
2) I don't think it's a matter of file size. I have other Excel workbooks that are much larger where this never happens.
3) As noted above, Calculation is set to Manual.
4) The "pause" only happens if I type a number or text in a cell and then press "Enter" or an arrow key to move to another cell - it does NOT happen if I copy and paste a value.
5) It also does NOT seem to happen if I type numbers or text into a cell that is NOT referenced by formulas elsewhere in the workbook. But if the cell is referenced by formulas, the pause does occur.
6) The workbook contains a large number of sheets (about 50) and many references to other workbooks, but this is nothing unusual for me - I have quite a few Excel workbooks with more tabs and more external references that never give me this "pause" problem.
7) If I select more than 1 one tab and type in numbers or text, the pause does NOT happen. But if I ungroup sheets, the "pause" starts to happen again.
8) Quitting and restarting Excel does not help.
9) Excel version: Excel 2016
10) File extension: .xlsx

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
UPDATE: Turns out my file had hundreds of hidden named ranges. Unhiding those ranges and deleting them seems to have fixed the "Pause" problems.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back