Excel plot presentation

MODELXLS

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using XY-style graphs for scientific computing, with many plotted curves on a single graph. I have two questions:
1) Is there a way of selecting specific values for logarithmic axis labelling? For instance, Excel labels at 1 and 10 by default. Can I have labels at 1, 2, 5, and 10?
2) Is there a way of selecting legends for specific curves, instead of for all, which is Excel default?
Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
A log axis only shows labels on the decades, starting with the axis minimum, so 1, 10, 100. You can always add a dummy series to a chart and add your own labels, as illustrated in this blog post: Custom Axis Labels and Gridlines in an Excel Chart.

You can delete unwanted legend entry labels by clicking once on the legend, then clicking on the unwanted legend entry, then pressing the Delete key. To get back a missing legend entry, you have to delete the legend and add it back.

Upvote 0
Thank you, Jon very much. It is very clever to use data labels for axes labels and gridlines. Is there a similar trick to insert shaded or colored shapes into an Excel plot?

Upvote 0
Thank you very much Jon. The combo XY/area plot works very well for my purpose. I am writing a manuscript and am planning on giving you an acknowledgement, unless you object - then let me know. Also, have purchased your utility.
Great, thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back