Excel-PP Link - "Source Application Busy"

Rumscheid

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I have the exact same Problem as someone in an pretty old thread ( How to close modal windows automatically? )
I am pretty desperate, I spent hours today trying to find a fix.. Can anyone maybe help me? I would even be open for any sort of workaround or hack.

QUOTE:
I dashboard a continuously running PowerPoint presentation that feeds off of data and charts from Excel. From time to time (between once to a handful of times a day) I get the error message in PowerPoint: "The Source Application is Busy and Can't Respond Immediately."

Via Microsoft, You Cannot Stop or Cancel the "The Source Application Is Busy and Can't Respond Immediately" Error Message, it's because a modal window is open in Excel. However, every time I receive this error, I go to Excel and I don't see a modal window, so the error appears to have taken care of itself in Excel immediately. However, PowerPoint won't continue until I hit retry (which always works).

Is there any way I can automatically close out of a modal window? At this point, I can only hypothesize what might be causing the error because the error window never shows in Excel by the time I get there. I'm thinking it's either:
  • Using the ontime() function, I automatically refresh the pivot caches and charts every ten minutes. This may conflict with a PowerPoint add-on that refreshes the links to the Excel objects every time the slideshow loops. The presentation hangs for a few seconds every time the linked data changes, and I'm wondering if PowerPoint is unable to read the link data if it is being refreshed in Excel. I always receive this error on the first slide (when it refreshes the linked data) so I'm thinking the likely culprit is in here.
  • I have data connections in Excel that use web queries to google drive, sometimes I get an error message in Excel that says the data refresh was unsuccessful, but this doesn't appear to have any affect on the PowerPoint presentation.

Do you guys think the problem is fixable in Excel or is it a PowerPoint issue? Is there any way to at least automatically close out the unsuccessful web query error box?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
You say if the error happens it happens on slide 1. In your code to refresh the cache, can you check to see which slide is showing? If on slide 1 then skip the refresh.

Something like that?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back