excel protect sheet

already

Board Regular
Hi

I have to make a sheet read only for some people but other people have to make changes on it. So I protected the sheet with a password. But in the sheet I have a calculated column and I want to protect this column for overwriting for all the people. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance for your help

Kind regards

Al

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Al

Protect your sheet but then 'Allow users to edit ranges'. Look in the Help for this. You should be able to use that feature to allow some people to edit anywhere except your calculated column (with a password) and the other people will not be allowed to edit anything because of the protection.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter

Thanks for your help.
I have tried this but if the sheet is unprotected the user with the pw can change all the cells. The goal is to protect the sheet and to protect a range (with formula) for editing (overwrite) for the user with the pw.

best regards

al

Upvote 0
I did give this in the wrong order. It should be

1. Allow users to edit ranges (New, set range(s) that can be edited with password, enter password, Apply OK, cofirm password, OK)

2. Protect the worksheet.

Now try to enter in a cell in the range(s) you set at step 1. You will be prompted for the password and, if passowrd is correctly supplied, you can edit the cell.

Try to enter in a cell that is not part of the range(s) set up at step 1 and you will be prevented by the worksheet protection.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back