Excel ref error when summing non contiguous cells

KarlChea

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey guys, I'm trying to sum cells that are 12 cells apart for a rota, the only issue is that at the end of everyday the rota is cut down to what was used that day but then my SUM for totals goes to REF. example: I have =SUM(K1+K12+K24+K36) , The value of each k cells is ALWAYS going to be either 1 or blank, I just want to add the 1s together. This works fine, but if we only get to K24 that day, we need to delete K36 to setup for tomorrow, but once I do that I get a ref error. I know I can just remove K24 from the formula but this is for 11 separate sums every day so it would be handy if there was a way to ignore the ref error after deleting a non contiguous cell.

I've tried basically everything I can find but most things I can see help prevent the ref error with contiguous cells and don't work for my needs, any help would be appreciated as you'll make me look good in work lol

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Welcome to the forum
Why not select the row and then press the delete key which clears the row instead of removing the row with the delete row function. This avoids the ref problem??

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=SUM(INDEX(K:K,SEQUENCE(4,,0,12)))
When I'm entering this it is selecting all of the K row but I only want specific K's included that are not sequential, any idea?

Upvote 0
Firstly K is a column not a row. ;)
Whilst it may highlight the entire column it is only returning values from the 4 cells you mentioned.
Try it & see

Upvote 0
Firstly K is a column not a row. ;)
Whilst it may highlight the entire column it is only returning values from the 4 cells you mentioned.
Try it & see
Couldn't get it to work on mine, not sure what I'm doing wrong ? I managed it by doing =SUM(IFERROR(K4:K4)IFERROR(K16:K16) etc etc and it was able to add it up and delete cells with no ref error, thanks a lot for ur help

Upvote 0
In what way didn't it work?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back