Excel related, but not formulas or visual basic

immyjimmy

Hello...

My work computer was recently upgraded and Excel now is hiding workbooks that I have open.
I'm not hiding them, but until I found out about how to find hidden files, thought I was losing them.
When I Googled "excel hides my workbook and I can't get it to stop", I found all sorts of help in how to hide and superhide sheets, but nothing on how to stop Excel from hiding workbooks.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening and better yet, how to stop it?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Dr. Demento

Not sure why it's doing it, but if you put the following code in your PERSONAL.XLSB file, it will loop thru all open workbooks and make them visible when Excel opens.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim wb As Workbook

For Each wb In Application.Workbooks
  If wb.Name <> "PERSONAL.xlsb" Then _
      Windows(wb.Name).Visible = True
Next wb

End Sub
** Edit **
Actually, that will only solve half your problem; what you need is for this Sub to run anytime any new workbook is opened, not just when Excel is first started. The font of all Excel wisdom (Chip Pearson :cool:) has some instructions (http://www.cpearson.com/excel/AppEvent.aspx).

hth

Last edited:

immyjimmy

Thanks, Dr.

What I'm doing is opening an Excel file, and all is well. I open another one (or two), and eventually, toggling back and forth between them, one will go into hiding.
I can always select "VIEW" and "Unhide", but I haven't actively hidden any of them.
I've checked to see if any VBA could be active, but these are files without macros.

Thanks,
Immy

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • find many based on a certain criteria
    good evening, I hope someone can help me? I have a workbook sheet 2 contains lots of data.... I would like to be able to find anything on sheet...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...
  • Text Format
    I have a sheet for user to keyin the data. The format of the data can be 451 / 1903, 0012 / 9908 or 00287 / 0099. The number after the "/" is...
  • Macro to copy values across rows and transposing them and add the user id
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Hi,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New...