Excel Removing formatting by itself

ppleasebob

Board Regular
I have a couple (or 60!) spreadsheets that have formatting, every now and then (about once a month) excel decides to remove all of the formatting when individual workbooks are being saved.

I have to restore the workbook from my backup tapes.

The workbooks are saved on a network, nothing fancy about them, no macros, sharing or pictures. Excel just decides to destroy my day.

It seems to come from one particular desktop, the workbook is saved then reopened for some reason and wham it's gone..
We're running pretty new PC's and XL2007.

any ideas/experience of this

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
You might want to look into this. What I believe is happening, is that your default save option is set to Excel 4.0 or 3.0. When you save a formated 2003 sheet to these formats, you lose all the formatting that that mode would not support...conditional formating, colors, validation, all kinds of stuff. So when you save everything looks great, but when you open agian, it's all gone. Here's how to check.

1. Select Tools..options from the excel menu.
2. Click on the Transition tab.
3. See what value the "Save Excel files as:" item is set to. (Should be "Microsoft Office Excel Workbook")

HTH
Cal

Upvote 0
Cal,

Thanks, have looked and all of the failed wbooks were excel 97-2003 compatible. A lot of these get emailed to suppliers so we've suppressed the 2007 options. As it appears random, I'll post again next time it happens with more info. Thanks for looking..
bob

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrPJ_Harper

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back