Excel sheet for easier recieving of items - need help!

StockKeeper

Hello!

My name is Robin, and I work at an re-seller of electronical items in Norway. I have an idea that I would like to make, but even though I have used Excel for tasks before, I kind of don't know where to start. I'm just going to write what I want the sheet to do, and if someone could just give me a hint of what I need to read up upon, it would be much appreciated!

I work in the Aftersales department.

Everyday, we receive pallets with items from our major distributor. The same day the trailer with items arrive, we also get a packing-note. For every pallet we take apart, we need to find every item, and 'check' them of in the list. This is to ensure that we actually get what we are ordering, and to see what we have to report as missing.

This process it extremely time consuming, and is something that I would like to speed up. So here is my idea;

15170755_10211528854634970_700664559140116994_n.jpg

The picture above is what the packing note looks like.

Break down:

Red circle - This is the number(name) of the box, or pallet the items is in.
Green circle - This is the name of the item that should be in the pallet or box.
Blue circle - This is the amount of items like this we are waiting to receive.

What I would like to make in Excel, is a program that automatically takes the PDF document (pre-uploaded to a certain folder by user), breaks the information into separate fields that is pre-configured by me. For example like this:

15178293_10211529605053730_5273621971035437979_n.jpg

And when all the items on the pallets have been checked, the Excel document should automatically generate a new printable document with a complete list of everything that is either Missing or Too Much. Like this:

15235771_10211529623214184_2238175641389502339_o.jpg

Now here comes the real tricky part...

Sorry if I am expressing myself badly, English is my second language...

Lets say there is a barcode named "1000000000XXXXXABC" on a BOX. I take the barcode scanner, and scan it. I need the document to automatically jump to that BOX on the list, and start checking the items. When all items in the box is emptied, the user can press enter, and you are ready to scan a new BOX or Pallet.

The IT department will help me connect the document to our systems, so that the document knows what barcode belongs to which item.

Questions remaining guys:
- How can I make Excel get data from PDF into a document like the one I've made?
- How can I make the document work with a barcode scanner, and behave the way I want it to?

Again guys, any help, or links to information - would be very appreciated!

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi Robin,
After reading your post I can understand your problem as I work in supply chain, but I don't think building an excel based application is the right direction. What you're asking for is very complex, and you would also have to factor in things like changing barcodes so you would need the application to be connected to master data warehouse that was updated each time a new SKU was added.
I do believe it is possible to pull data out of a PDF into excel, but I am not sure how. Regarding connecting your barcode scanner, this will be very tricky since you would need to connect excel to outside programs that don't support VBA.
Does your shipper support EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) or can they send you the file as a flat text or CSV file? If so you can purchase inventory management programs that will read this data and load it into your scan guns.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back