Excel sheet painfully slow without calculations

Henceman

I have two XLSX files, with same setup, only with different amount of rows, about 4000 line items for one, and 400 for another.

ISSUE: if i enter data to any of the cells in the table, Excel will display a circular loading icon (NO CALCULATION progress) and after about 8 seconds ( does not matter if I change one cell or 100) it becomes responsive again.

Both excel files feature a table, and two columns, which have structured reference of: +TABLENAME[@[COLUMN1]:[COLUMN1] and +TABLENAME[@[COLUMN2]:[COLUMN2]

I have pinpointed out, as these formulas being a culprit as I can remove all the other data in one file and there is no difference in speed.

Problem is, that in second file, I can add thousands of rows and Excel is always responsive. So im not sure what Im missing here, both files share the same logic, same formulas and setup, but one file is reponsive and another one is not.

There are no macros, excessive formatting or anything else I could think of why it causes one to wait after every change and not for the other.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Either a formula error or a 'damaged' workbook : copy then paste as values only the data to a new workbook then create the table, the formulas …​

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back