EXCEL shows only one button on taskbar

yky

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
From time to time, Excel would show only one button on the taskbar when several workbooks are open simultaneously. This doesn't happen all the time and I can't predict when it will or will not happen.

I have checked the taskbar's property. The taskbar button is set to "Never Combine". On the Excel side, under File/Options/Advanced/Display, "Show All Windows in the Taskbar" is checked. Yet, these two settings are sometimes ignored. When the two settings are ignored and all workbooks show up as only one button, I have to use "View/Switch Windows" to get to the workbook I want to view. This is cumbersome.

Anyway to correct the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

This problem is seen on Excel 2010 with either Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 pro, two different computers. In the Windows 7 days, I don't recall having this problem.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Is there room to show all the workbooks? If you have more workbooks then room, Windows will combine them, no matter your setting. To test, start closing workbooks one by one. If suddenly they aren't combined, that's the issue.

By the way, this is more a Windows question than Excel question....

Upvote 0
Is there room to show all the workbooks? If you have more workbooks then room,will combine them, no matter your setting. To test, start closing workbooks one by one. If suddenly they aren't combined, that's the issue.
Thanks for the reply.

Many times, I have opened 40 or 50 workbooks at a time. In those cases, the taskbar becomes multi-row though only one row is shown and each workbook has its own button. I can click the down or up triangle on the taskbar to move to different row and click at a workbook to make it shown on the screen. They don't coalesce into one button.

I just opened 70 workbooks right before writing this sentence and they all appeared on the taskbar.

By the way, this is more a Windows question than Excel question....
Maybe but I only have this problem on Excel, not other programs.

Upvote 0
I found several articles discussing this without any solutions.. it does appear to be a bug. No solution
Do you have ASAP utilities installed? They report it as an issue with their addin (for many versions of Excel) and have an update at their site.

Upvote 0
I found several articles discussing this without any solutions.. it does appear to be a bug. No solution
Do you have ASAP utilities installed? They report it as an issue with their addin (for many versions of Excel) and have an update at their site.
Thank you for spending time looking for an answer. I guess I'll have to live with it.

No. I don't have ASAP installed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back