hrayani

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Friends,

I am using the below formula to extract the smallest value from the data

Code:
=SMALL(IF(($G$2=gsm_pc_weight_ref_no)*($J$2=gsm_pc_weight_design_color_name)*($H$2>=gsm_pc_weight_date)*($I$2<=gsm_pc_weight_date),gsm_pc_weight_value,""),ROW(1:1))

CTL+SHF+ENT

Cells H2 & I2 in the formula represents dates (From - To)

The problem I am having is when both dates are equal than the formula works fine.
But as soon as I change the From date or To date then the formula gives error #NUM !

Am I doing anything wrong

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Try changing

($H$2>=gsm_pc_weight_date)*($I$2<=gsm_pc_weight_date)

to

($H$2<=gsm_pc_weight_date)*($I$2>=gsm_pc_weight_date)

M.

Upvote 0
Hello Friends,

I am using the below formula to extract the smallest value from the data

Code:
=SMALL(IF(($G$2=gsm_pc_weight_ref_no)*($J$2=gsm_pc_weight_design_color_name)*($H$2[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=#ff0000]<[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]=gsm_pc_weight_date)*($I$2[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=#ff0000]>[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]=gsm_pc_weight_date),gsm_pc_weight_value,""),ROW(1:1))

CTL+SHF+ENT

Cells H2 & I2 in the formula represents dates (From - To)

The problem I am having is when both dates are equal than the formula works fine.
But as soon as I change the From date or To date then the formula gives error #NUM !

Am I doing anything wrong

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure, but the date should be between From and To, change the signs.

Upvote 0
Hi Marcelo & DanteAmor

Thanks for the reply. I won’t be having access to my computer for the next 2 days. I will try your solution on Monday and will surely let you know that did it work or not. I hope it does :)

Meanwhile If you guys could kindly let me know the reason behind changing the signs.
As of now cell H2 contains From date & I2 contains To date.

For Example
H2 which contains From date has 1-Jul-2019
I2 which contains To date has 22-Jul-2019

Now what I am telling the formula is to look at values which are greater than or equal to 1-Jul-2019 & less than or equal to 22-Jul-2019 i.e. 1-Jul To 22-Jul.

Now if I change the signs than won’t it be like I am telling the formula to look at values less than or equal to 1-Jul & greater than or equal to 22-Jul. In said case (to the best of my understanding) the formula will give me all the values which does not fall under this period i.e. 1-Jul To 22-Jul whereas, I want the all values which falls under these dates
i.e. 1-Jul To 22-Jul.

I just realised that one thing which I might have misunderstood (I guess) is that you guys are telling me to enter To date first & then From date. If that’s the case then I will be entering 22-Jul in H2 & 1-Jul in I2.

Hoping to hear from you guys.

Regards,

Humayun

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The deduction is because you put this:

Cells H2 & I2 in the formula represents dates (From - To)[/QUOTE]

H2 is the minor date, and I2 is the major date.

H2 = 1-Jul-2019

I2 =
22-Jul-2019

For example: 15-Jul-2019

If
1-Jul-2019 <= 15-Jul-2019 True
if 22
-Jul-2019 >= 15-Jul-2019 True

In this case 15-Jul-2019 is between the 2 dates, then it is true

Upvote 0
Thanks DanteAmor for the explanation

Now I get it.....

But in Sumif the logic does not work like this as far as I remember.
We put >= in the minor date & <= in the major date.

Am I right ?

Regards,

Humayun

Upvote 0
The date to be evaluated must be greater than the FROM date and must be less than the TO date.

The structure of sumifs starts with "> =" but the principle is the same.

Let's see if the following examples are clearer:

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >Date</td><td >Value</td><td > </td><td >From</td><td >To</td><td >Result</td><td >Result</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="text-align:right; ">15-jun</td><td style="text-align:right; ">120</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">01/07/2019</td><td style="text-align:right; ">21/07/2019</td><td style="text-align:right; ">170</td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="text-align:right; ">30-jun</td><td style="text-align:right; ">145</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">170</td><td style="text-align:right; ">170</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td style="text-align:right; ">15-jul</td><td style="text-align:right; ">170</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">170</td><td style="text-align:right; ">170</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td style="text-align:right; ">30-jul</td><td style="text-align:right; ">195</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td style="text-align:right; ">14-ago</td><td style="text-align:right; ">220</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >F2</td><td >=SUMIFS(B2:B6,A2:A6,">="&D2,A2:A6,"<="&E2)</td></tr><tr><td >F3</td><td >=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A6>=D2)*(A2:A6<=E2)*(B2:B6))</td></tr><tr><td >G3</td><td >=SUMPRODUCT((D2<=A2:A6)*(E2>=A2:A6)*(B2:B6))</td></tr><tr><td >F4</td><td >{=SUM(IF((A2:A6>=D2)*(A2:A6<=E2),B2:B6))}</td></tr><tr><td >G4</td><td >{=SUM(IF((D2<=A2:A6)*(E2>=A2:A6),B2:B6))}</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
Thanks DanteAmor once again for all the time you have put in to make me understand.

Rest I will try the solution provided in post # 2 & 3 provided by Marcelo & you.

I will keep you guys posted

Upvote 0
Thanks DanteAmor once again for all the time you have put in to make me understand.

Rest I will try the solution provided in post # 2 & 3 provided by Marcelo & you.

I will keep you guys posted

Youre welcome. Let me know if you have any doubt.

Upvote 0
Hi DanteAmor,

Just applied the formula you provided. Its working PERFECT.

Here is the final Formula in cell H4

Code:
=IFERROR(SMALL(IF((gsm_pc_weight_ref_no=$G$2)*(gsm_pc_weight_design_color_name=$J$2)*(gsm_pc_weight_date>=$H$2)*(gsm_pc_weight_date<=$I$2),gsm_pc_weight_value,""),1),"")

Changed This
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]($H$2>=gsm_pc_weight_date)*($I$2<=gsm_pc_weight_date)[/COLOR]
To
Code:
[COLOR=#333333](gsm_pc_weight_date>=[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]$H$2[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333])*(gsm_pc_weight_date<=[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]$I$2[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333])
[/COLOR]

Instead of changing signs. But I do got the logic behind changing signs. Also Applied iferror in the beginning.

I also wanted to extract all the Nth Small unique values for the result. So in cell H5 I put this formula

Code:
=IFERROR(SMALL(IF([COLOR=#ff0000](gsm_pc_weight_value>H4)[/COLOR]*(gsm_pc_weight_ref_no=$G$2)*(gsm_pc_weight_design_color_name=$J$2)*(gsm_pc_weight_date>=$H$2)*(gsm_pc_weight_date<=$I$2),gsm_pc_weight_value,""),1),"")[COLOR=#333333]
[/COLOR]

Let me know if there is a better way of doing this. I mean the added criteria marked in red for the unique values.

Best Regards,

Humayun

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back