Excel Solver Question - production scheduling

crzytimes

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to teach myself to use Excel solver to take the work out of manually calculating minor production details. but am struggling.

Say I have a make to order job with 7 sizes and I want to run them on 5 machines. I would like the solver to find the optimal order to run them given 5 machines when the same size can be ran on multiple machines. Ideally, the largest order would be ran last so as the other machines finish their batches, the large order could be split into other machines.

Basically,

• 5 machines that can all run the same product or different products.
  • Each size of the product runs at a different speed.
  • Product qty's sizes & qty's vary with each batch

Given an efficiency standard and number of available machines, I would like the solver to calculate how many hours it'll take to complete each variant in a batch and then assign them to a line to produce. If I have less batches then machines, it'll split the batches onto multiple machines further reducing the overall time to complete the project. Only major rule, would be to always use however many machines I assign to the job (between 1 and 5 machines).

I hope I'm explaining myself well...if someone can point me to a similar tool that it is already floating around the internet or point me in the right direction to create my own tool, I'd really appreciate the support!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back