Excel Spreadsheet Cell Problem

John Davis

Hello All:

I received an excel file from a company which instructs me too fill in data lets say Cell D40. However, everytime I try to enter data I get a message from the Assistant saying "The Value you have entered is not valid, A user has restricted values that can be entered into this Cell".

The cell does not appear to be protected. There are no macros involved. Can anyone enlighten me on what is going on here??

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hi,

Look at Data...Validation.

Dom

Domski:

Thanks for your reply. I looked at Data validation. I turned the alert message off? It's working. However, I'm being told that it's not working as it should. The spreadsheet is a questionaire. Apparently if you enter the word Yes it would represent a 1. And a No would represent a zero. Not at all familiar with Data validation or how it works. Perhaps you could shed some more insight.

Upvote 0
Data Validation itself is just a means of restricting what a user can enter into a cell either based on pre-defined settings or custom lists and formulas.

Itself it will not have any effect on the calculation of the worksheet. If a user enters yes then there would have to be some formula or code to convert that to a 1 or 0.

Excel does however accept TRUE and FALSE and allow those to be used as boolean equivalents of 1 and 0.

Dom

Upvote 0
Data Validation itself is just a means of restricting what a user can enter into a cell either based on pre-defined settings or custom lists and formulas.

Itself it will not have any effect on the calculation of the worksheet. If a user enters yes then there would have to be some formula or code to convert that to a 1 or 0.

Excel does however accept TRUE and FALSE and allow those to be used as boolean equivalents of 1 and 0.

Dom

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still learning. Problem resolved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back