Excel SQL INSERT Query needs to have strings with & in them

starl

Administrator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Generating SQL Queries to add data to Quickbooks. Fairly standard queries, but some of the strings being added need '&' in the name (eg. Tom & Jerry).
I cannot figure out how - from Excel to a db - I can do this. I'm also using a 3rd party connector for this, so I cannot use the "set define on/off" stuff. I'm limited to making a change to the text in INSERT query that will translate properly when added to the database. For example, using Replace to replace the & with something else that turns into &.

It looks to me like it's probably more of an XML issue than a SQL one? Have you tried replacing it with &?
Those 5 characters exactly? no. first time I've ever seen such a thing.
Would that be outside the quotes of the specific text string itself?
So if the actual string is:
Code:
'(Tom & Jerry) 50lb Bags'
would it then be
Code:
'(Tom ' [actually I have no idea how to put a directive like that in here... I can't use & like I would in VBA]  Jerry) 50lb Bags'

researching online, I think you're saying to put it in the string and it might be interpreted the way %20 is used in some web addresses.. so the answer to how:
Code:
'(Tom %#38; Jerry) 50lb Bags'

yes?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Yes, though for ease I'd just wrap the string(s) in a Replace function.

Upvote 0
Yes, though for ease I'd just wrap the string(s) in a Replace function.
oh yeah - I have a function that cleans up my strings :)
I use class modules and functions and all that jazz - makes sharing code a bit difficult.
I ❤️ class modules!

Upvote 0
To insert a string containing an ampersand character & into a database using SQL, you need to escape the ampersand character. This can be done by replacing the & character with '||'&'||'.

For example, the following INSERT statement will insert a string Tom & Jerry into a column name in a table mytable:

INSERT INTO mytable (name) VALUES ('Tom '||'&'||' Jerry');

This works because the || operator concatenates (joins) the strings on either side of it. The single quotes around '&' are needed to treat the & symbol as a plain string character rather than a special SQL symbol.

Alternatively, you can use the CHR() function to insert a special character by its ASCII code. The ASCII code for the & character is 38. So you can use the following INSERT statement to achieve the same result:

INSERT INTO mytable (name) VALUES ('Tom '||CHR(38)||' Jerry');

Upvote 0
Working solution found! @RoryA brought up the XML link and it appears this is true, though I cannot find mention in the CData VBA help files.
Anyway, the solution is to replace the '&' with &
I didn't have a chance to see if %#38; would also work

Knowing that XML is a part of how they're handling queries definitely helps. Thanks for identifying that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back