Excel stopped accepting array formula

bradams

I'm not entirely sure how to explain this issue, so apologies if the title is confusing or misleading.

I have a spreadsheet with a fairly large number of array formulas. Maybe there is a more efficient way of doing it but this is where I'm at for the moment. The formulas were working. However I needed to make a pretty minor tweak. Now when I hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter to enter the array formula, it just sits there. The only thing displayed in the cell is part of the formula, similar to what it would show if it were just text instead of a formula. I cannot get it to recognize the formula and return results. I've tried Refresh, Refresh All, saving and re-opening the spreadsheet, deleting and re-entering the formula, and anything else I could think of. I don't know if the problem is the overall size/complexity of the spreadsheet (it is one of the larger ones I've done) or if something else is going on. Thoughts?

If it helps, here is the formula:

=IF($A2<>"",IF(INDEX('Children Demographics'!B1:B2001,MATCH(1,($B2='Children Demographics'!$A1:$A2001)*($C2='Children Demographics'!$B1:$B2001),0))=0,"Unknown",INDEX('Children Demographics'!B1:B2001,MATCH(1,($B2='Children Demographics'!$A1:$A2001)*($C2='Children Demographics'!$B1:$B2001),0))),"")

1. The number of children will change over time. Currently there are around 1,500 so I've designed the spreadsheet to handle up to 2000.
  2. I need to do a lookup against both the child name and a case number (a case can have multiple children but also need to guard against children with the same name in different cases).
  3. In this example I am returning the child's date of birth that is in Column B of the Children Demographics sheet. If DOB is not listed, I need it to return "Unknown."

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I've been trying to figure this out for a while.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Just an idea
To prevent Excel from having to calculate the formula twice you can use this custom format
[= 0] "Unknown"

Then use
=IF($A2<>"",INDEX('Children Demographics'!B1:B2001,MATCH(1,($B2='Children Demographics'!$A1:$A2001)*($C2='Children Demographics'!$B1:$B2001),0)),"")

M.

Upvote 0
Just an idea
To prevent Excel from having to calculate the formula twice you can use this custom format
[= 0] "Unknown"

Then use
=IF($A2<>"",INDEX('Children Demographics'!B1:B2001,MATCH(1,($B2='Children Demographics'!$A1:$A2001)*($C2='Children Demographics'!$B1:$B2001),0)),"")

M.

Thanks but the reason I'm doing it twice is to return "Unknown" if DOB isn't entered (value of 0) and to return the DOB if it is a non-zero value.

Upvote 0
Thanks but the reason I'm doing it twice is to return "Unknown" if DOB isn't entered (value of 0) and to return the DOB if it is a non-zero value.

I understand, but what I meant was that this is not necessary if the custom format proposed is used. I suggested this because it looks like your spreadsheet has serious performance issues.

M.

Upvote 0
I understand, but what I meant was that this is not necessary if the custom format proposed is used. I suggested this because it looks like your spreadsheet has serious performance issues.

M.

Sorry, I missed the custom format in your original post. I need to read more carefully. ;)

Upvote 0
Also, that was an excellent suggestion. It didn't solve the problem but it is a much smarter approach than what I was doing.

Upvote 0
Does this problem apply to all sheets or just one? Can you enter any formula into the cell that works? (I assume you've changed to use the custom format and formula that Marcelo suggested, so it can't be that your cell was formatted as Text before) Do you perhaps have the sheet set to display formulas rather than their results?

Upvote 0
Well, I'll be. I must have accidentally changed it to show formulas rather than results. I have no idea how I did that. Man, that was a costly (in terms of time) mistake. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back