Excel suddenly VERY slow

kjjolley

Help - I have an Excel spreadsheet programme that was working fine until recently on a Windows 98 machine. Recently however it has become almost unusable due the speed at which you can move through the cells using the cursor keys. Everything is fine until I get to cells that contain a list (data validation) and then it takes about 5 seconds to move past each cell ! I have moved the spreadsheet to another computer and it works fine. I have re-installed office on my computer and the problem is still there. I have a back up of this spreadsheet from 2 months ago which worked fine before but this now shows the same symptoms on my computer if I try and run it. Help me - its driving me mad.

Many thanks, Ken.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Welcome to the Board,

is the data validation list still within that spreadsheet ?

(ie it's not sitting somewhere else where it has to be referenced - like your old backup from months ago)

Upvote 0
No the data validation list are within the same worksheet (some are only a choice of three entries) but all have the same very slow effect when trying to move past them with the cursor. In fact none of them are references just entries from a small list. The spreadsheet works fine on other computers as well. Ken.
This message was edited by kjjolley on 2002-08-25 01:12

Upvote 0
kjjolley,

The spreadsheet works fine on other computers as well

Based on what You writing the problem is related to You computer.

Have You recently upgraded /installed new program or drivers?

What version of XL / Office are You running?

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
It is Windows 98 and Office 2002. I have just tried to create a new sheet and copy all the data from the main sheet to it and it gets rid of the problem (however I have many links to my main sheet and don't want to lose them). I have tried to remove all formatting from the sheet etc but it seems to only be on the one particular sheet (and only on my computer!). Very confusing.

Maybe I'll just have to rename all my links and use the new sheet.

Upvote 0
Hi

Ill get shot for this commint im sure of that, Win98 [any version] is not designed for XP??? regardless, I use evidence to defend my self from some who will distroy me for this Microsoft do not support Win98 and do XP win or Office, so its a conflict of intrests and some Excel issues are Windows related, nowdays everyone love printdrivers these are linked into the print manager thats windows not Excel!!!

This as far as im conserned if you have techi issues in excel or windows, it kinda like fuling you car leaded when it wants un leaded.

Fix reduce office level to 97 which is correct or up grade windows to XP [i do not suggest HOME version it is shocking] but FULL pro edition about #279 GPB or $400 but in US this wil be cheaper.

Or match whats best, 97 and any to Xp are fine and i use the all, no real benefit bar the latest.

XP office is now also patched by SP1 nad new SP2 and there are about 30 odd semi patches, if you have loaded any of these you looking for trouble and they link in Win [so im told]

The PC spec should be fine, XP will run better as a windows version that 98 which i say was a discrace of an opperatiog system to start with, ME is even worst!

Let me know if you need more - or Jack will go on and on and on.

Listing 100 possibles if thats needed i dont feel will help you are breaking the copmpatability, if you snip a fix, i asure you even of the system is the best in the world you have further issues very soon

Sorry to post like this but i know i right. and i have never EVER told some one to upgrade or spend moneys, not my style, thus my reference to downgrade.....

HTH

Upvote 0
kjolley,

{quote]Maybe I'll just have to rename all my links and use the new sheet.[/quote]

This may be the best solution on long term basis :)

Jack,
You´ve got a point with Windows-versions visavi Office-versions.

Trying to install a new Windows-version on a old computer is a similar situation.

To sum up my experience I would like to put it in the following way:

Windows 95 / 98 / NT Office 97
Windows ME / 2000 Office 2000
Windows XP / Office XP

Of course no rules without any exceptions which I believe several will point out for above.

However, keep in mind that MS is testings new updated versions of Office on the present standard for operatingsystem.

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
Jack,

Of course Your´re right :) but as I stated:

Of course no rules without any exceptions which I believe several will point out for above.

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back