Excel Sumifs result changes when using "="& before criteria

CRHAAG

Hi all,

I noticed a strange occurrence with the SUMIFS formula today and am wondering if someone might just be able to explain to me why this is. Lets say I have the following two formulas:

SUMIFS(FIELD_AUDIT[PRP QTY],FIELD_AUDIT[BLD],reportBuildingCode,FIELD_AUDIT[PRP TYPE],[@[Prp Type]],FIELD_AUDIT[EXST TYPE],[@[Exst Type]])))
SUMIFS(FIELD_AUDIT[PRP QTY],FIELD_AUDIT[BLD],reportBuildingCode,FIELD_AUDIT[PRP TYPE],[@[Prp Type]],FIELD_AUDIT[EXST TYPE],"="&[@[Exst Type]])))

The only thing different in the second one is that it has "="& before the criteria, rather than just stating the criteria. I have always used "="& but learned recently that this is not necessary when you simply want to sum if the value in your range is equal to your criteria. I noticed a value coming up blank today that I knew should not have. After racking my brain for 20 minutes or so, I decided to try rewriting the formula with "="&. To my surprise it worked.

Can anybody tell me if there is a functional difference between these two formulas?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
if you have equal sign also within cells at range you should use second formula &
If Not you should use first, I think.

Upvote 0
Are you saying that if FIELD_AUDIT[PRP QTY] is a formula I would want to use the first one? It is not a formula. It does have a validation dropdown that limits values to whole numbers....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back