Excel table converted to range but now does not sort properly

tcalleia

I have an excel table with many formulas that use structured references. When I convert to a range (way easier to work in for my purpose) the structured go away but then I have a problem sorting. They still reference the work sheet that I am in but do change to a cell reference like $AD7.

This is the start of the formula when it is a table with structured references: IF([@[ABC]]=0,"-",IF([@XYZ]="XXX","Manual Review",...
This is the start of the formula when I convert to a range: =IF('Sheet1'!$AD7=0,"-",IF('Sheet1'!$F7="XXX","Manual Review",

It looks OK except for including the sheet name even when it is in the same sheet (not a lookup to another sheet).

But... If I sort the data the rows keep the original row value- not the new row. In this example, after my sort the data is now in row 1,514 but it is still referencing row 7, even though there is no $ on the 7 in the formula.
IF('Sheet1'!$AD7=0,"-",IF('Sheet1'!$F7="XXX","Manual Review",

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there any way to fix this without having to rewrite all of my formulas to be non-structured references?
Thanks in advance for any assistance:)

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I hope I understand correctly.
Try not to include the columns holding a formula in the sort.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E3:E12E3=IF(D3<10,C3,"blabla")
F3:F12F3=FORMULATEXT(E3)

1654024665489.png

Formulas stay "in place".
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E3:E12E3=IF(D3<10,C3,"blabla")
F3:F12F3=FORMULATEXT(E3)

Upvote 0
Solution
GraH- Thank you for your time trying to solve my problem:)
Unfortunately for my situation I have many formula columns all among several non formula columns so this solution will not work for me. I did find my own work around though which seems to maybe the only one that is close to what I need. For my example I do a find and replace on the sheet name and replace it with nothing. This hangs up the report a bit because of the volume it is finding and replacing but it solves the sort problem. Once I get the active sheet name out of the formulas all sort works as expected.
I will mark as solved since we now have 2 round about solutions.

Thanks much Grah!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back