excel tables column numbers

sts8500man

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
New to using Excel Tables. After converting data to a table, I noticed that not all the columns received sequential column numbers. I need to understand how that affects the efficacy of the data / worksheet. More specifically, table column number 1 is actually the fifth column in the table. Several next door columns were not given a column number. Table column number 2 is actually the 10th column. Also, two columns at the end of the table did not receive numbers. Everything seems to work OK. The VBA macros work correctly. The calculations from formulas seems to work OK. I guess I just do not understand the column numbering issue, why the columns are numbered, and what affect column numbers have on the worksheet. Would someone please enlighten me?

OK. All that is starting to make sense to me now. The bottom line is that numbering of the columns does not affect my project except for making it easier to move around in the table. I think I have been making a mountain out of a table top volcano science fair project and I just don't need to do that. I appreciate your help, particularly your graphic example which I easily followed. I will sign off on this thread now with another thank you. You have been very patient and helpful and I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back