Excel Tables - how to update?

Graemea

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

i have a simple workbook that consists of 6 worksheets, 5 of which are populated with reports that are pasted in from an Excel extract from 3rd party software, and the other one uses VLOOKUPs to extract and consolidate the data from the data sheets.

I thought that it might be a good idea to convert the data in the 5 data sheets into Tables (Ctrl+T). However, the data in these sheets is updated each month by pasting over new data, which may contain more (or fewer) columns and rows than the previous month.

Are Excel Tables able to accommodate (e.g. expand/contract) pasting over with new data or would I need to paste in the data each month and then convert the ranges to Tables?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Tables will automatically update. A message will appear as you paste data which is more than the previous data.

Upvote 0
Thanks.

I did a quick test and it seems to work when I paste over more data than was there before (the Table range automatically expands, though no message appeared) but the Table range doesn't contract when I paste over less data than was there before; the extra data seems to remain?

Upvote 0
Does that mean that this is a known problem with Tables?

Upvote 0
If there is excess data in table and if you paste less rows or column of data it wont clear the excess itself. You have to first clear the data and then paste.

VBA might help i suppose to remove all the data before you paste it.!!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back