Excel telephone and email click to call/email hyperlinks

Jlrfer

I have a spreadsheet for contact information with hyperlinks to 'click to call' and 'click to email'. The file will be emailed to another person for use on their iphone. They do not want to add this list to their telephone contacts. The links work on my desktop windows10, excel 2013. After emailing to the user, the email links work, but the telephone links do not. Any ideas on what might be the problem? How do I fix this? Would it help to save the excel file as .ods format? I have tried both tel:555-555-555 with the tel: appearing in the data, and with the tel: hidden in the hyperlink. This is the format of the numbers in the file. Thanks for your help

tel:555-555-5555555-555-5555wabbitworld@yahoo.com

<colgroup><col span="2" width="109"><col width="184"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi,

I don't know what the issue is there. Perhaps Excel Mobile or iPhone
Is it possible you could save the file as .HTML web page as iPhones work with those?

Upvote 0
Thank you. I did think of that but have not tried it yet. I'm hoping to get the excel file to work.

Upvote 0
The iPhone I have to mess about with it not 10.0 so I cannot load Excel.
I can tell you it is recognised as a phone number on my Android phone as it brings up the options of Viber or Phone Dialer

(tel:555-555-1234 in the cell then right-click hyperlink and add tel:555-555-1234 as the address)

Are there any character * or # in the number as these are not permitted.
Any spaces?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6300903?tstart=0

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link. I had previously read those looking for a solution but didn't find anything that works. No special characters or spaces in the cells. I have tested using vba to add hyperlink, letting excel automatically convert to hyperlink, and inserting hyperlink manually. None of these will work. Are there security settings in excel or my email provider (hotmail) that could be causing the problem?

Upvote 0
Excel is working on Android but it is possible the functionality is different on the 2 platforms.

When you tap on the cell try doing it a second time and see if any menu comes up.

This MS post with the same question just refers to an Apple discussion page (same one previously posted) that suggests third party apps work if the format is correct.
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...ck-to-dial-in-excel?forum=officeitproprevious
Can't find anywhere with a definitive answer.

Add one of the phone numbers on your sheet to your contacts list then open the file and try the link just to see if it works.
It could be third party apps are limited to the contacts list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back