excel template date formula

npacker

Board Regular
I have created an excel template that needs to have the date it was created at the top of it. I was using the =NOW() formula, and it works great, except the only problem is, this is a daily report, and when you save the template as a document, I want the date it was created to stay as that date. As it is with the =NOW() formula, whenever you open that document later, it doesn't bring up the original date, but it brings up the date you're currenty opening it on. Is there any way I can have it generate the date the first time it is saved, but then leave that date there, and get rid of the =NOW() formula? Or is there some other way besides the =NOW() formula?
I know in MS Word, you can create a field with a "Create Date" in it which is just the date the document was created. So when they save the template, it saves it with the original date, and doesn't update the date every time you open it. That is what I would like. I would like to do this without code, but if it is the only way, I guess I would be willing.
Thanks!
Nate

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Yeah, I'm replying to my own thread. I just thought of something that might work, but I need help. Can I maybe just use an IF statement, and say, if cell value = NULL, then =NOW(), otherwise, leave whats there, in there? I know how to use the IF statement, but I don't know what to tell it to leave the cell contents how they are if they're not NULL. Any ideas?
Nate

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back