Excel thinking the date is in UK format but its actually in US. no way to convert it

fapb48

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

I have an export file with a field of "call time" that contains date that is in US format mm/dd/yyyy

But for whatever reason excel thinks this is UK date format and no way to convert this field to a proper date?

Screenshots below:

1678893898254.png

1678893923077.png

Converting text to columns and select DMY will not make any changes at all

You need to use the import wizard on the Data tab.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
i don't know how 3CX works. it would be one formula in another column copied down after the import.
this would be the formula:

Excel Formula:
=DATE(RIGHT(B2,4),
MID(B2,FIND("/",B2)+1,FIND("/",B2,FIND("/",B2)+1)-FIND("/",B2)-1),
LEFT(B2,FIND("/",B2)-1))

Upvote 0
Can you import that date as text, and then convert it manually? I know that is a pain, but it may work.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been struggling with this same issue with QlikView, the dates not only come out wrong, but don't even come out consistently, so it's impossible to fix. Just tried this and it's spot on. Now, I have to hope it repeats in the future, but you just saved me a tone of work massaging dates manually!

Upvote 0
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been struggling with this same issue with QlikView, the dates not only come out wrong, but don't even come out consistently, so it's impossible to fix. Just tried this and it's spot on. Now, I have to hope it repeats in the future, but you just saved me a tone of work massaging dates manually!
My pleasure. Im glad you've found a solution. Just be sure to check the date values are absolutely correct. Best wishes.

Upvote 0
In that case rather than opening the file in xl, try importing it using the Text import Wizard & set the date format there.
importing the CSV and the all dates are formatted as general.. if i change to date it doesnt change anything.. nor does it do anything changing to number or any other format

Upvote 0
When you import it, on the 3rd page of the wizard select the MDY date option.

Upvote 0
Sorry if i sound stupid.. but when i select "from text/csv" and i select the file it opens power query and all i can change is file origin and delimiter

Upvote 0
what have you done exactly?

Upvote 0
i have now tried with legacy import and select the MDY option but same old. Nothing changes.
1678912507785.png

Upvote 0
i don't know how 3CX works. it would be one formula in another column copied down after the import.
this would be the formula:

Excel Formula:
=DATE(RIGHT(B2,4),
MID(B2,FIND("/",B2)+1,FIND("/",B2,FIND("/",B2)+1)-FIND("/",B2)-1),
LEFT(B2,FIND("/",B2)-1))
i have tried this formula but it errors? does it not need the year, month and day functions?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back