Excel to Word tips anyone?

Nightboy

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks on copying tables from Excel to Word?

I generally just paste it as a picture as that takes least memory. It works OK, but I'm just wondering if there are any other good ideas that I'm not aware of.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Yes thank you it did work. I was meaning to go back to that thread & let you know that it worked out.

Upvote 0
OK - do you know about the 'camera' in excel?

1) right click on the tool bars & go to 'Customise'. select the commands tab
2) select the tools option & scroll down til you find the camera. add it to a tool bar...
3) select a range of cells, click the camera icon, then click somewhere else in the worksheet...
4) the camera can be used to dump the data into word as well (it turns up as a Word table).

or another often missed option:

1) select an area of cells
2) hold down the shift key, then go to the edit menu - you see a new option 'Copy picture'
3) Play around with the options to see the results in word...

Not necessarily 'better' than other methods, just a few more options...

Paddy

Upvote 0
OK, I tried them. That is interesting. Camera will bring the data over linked, so if it is updated in Excel in will update in Word also. One thing is bothering me with one table - it is 16 columns in 11 point. I select the whole area, copy & paste into word as a picture, but it constantly leaves out the last column. When I go into "edit picture" the column isn't even there. So it's not because there is no room on the page. It is just not bringing it across. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Upvote 0
what happens if you initially select 17 columns (i.e. include one extra, redundant column that you don't mind loosing if you can't find another way round the problem?)

Paddy

Upvote 0
Nightboy,

In Word Right Click on the import picture and select autofit, and then I think autofit to window (going from memory here).

This will resize the picture to fit.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
It still gives the same result. Whether I select 16, 17, 18 columns, etc it just pastes the first 15.

I am trying to paste it into an A4 portrait format page. Standard report layout. I actually just went & made a landscape format A4 doc & tried to copy & paste & it still leaves out the final column/s.

Perhaps it's something set up strange on my work computer. I might just go home & try it. Chances are it will come out perfectly there. Still I would like to know why it is doing this.

Upvote 0
Flenley, the problem is that it isn't even bringing over the extra column. So resizing just makes it smaller still with 15 instead of 16 columns. Actually when I paste it into Word there is still plenty of room for a couple of extra columns on the page. I'm thinking now that it must be something in how Excel is set up on my work computer. I've never encountered this before.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back