Excel traffic lights based on 4 different text

RELU

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day

Struggling to find best solution to have traffic lights for 4 different text in excel, using format cells custom options, having scroll down options using data validation list

1617955879089.png

have set custom format cells options set based below
"APPROVED";"PENDING1";"PENDING2", based below numerical values the scrolling options comes as below
1617956028019.png

-1​
PENDING 1Red light
0​
PENDING 2Red light
1​
APPROVEDGreen light
PENDING 3Red light

What I am struggling is how to add Pending 3 in red, as custom options allows you to use only 3 conditions, not 4
Any suggestions how to fix it using the same logic?

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Try using 1, 2 and 3 for pending, -1 for approved, with this custom format

"Pending "#;"Approved";;@

and the icon set formatted as:-

- Red:- >=1
- Yellow:- <1 and >=0
-Green:- <0

Upvote 0
Great thank you this works like a O'clock. Is there a way to add text to these pending, instead of having numbers 1,2,3.
Lets say
Pending SL (previously pending 1),
Pending RL (previously pending 2),
Pending SCM (previously pending 3)

Upvote 0
Not if you want to keep 'Approved' in the list as well. For actual text strings based on the numeric value, the limit is 3 different strings.
The way that I suggested only works because it is set so that all positive numbers show "Pending", then the number selected is added to the end of it by use of the # symbol.

The only other option would be to use proper text in the dropdown instead of the custom formatting, then have the traffic lights in a separate column with a simple formula to convert the dropdown text back to a number.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you, I thought so, was just trying to find easiest way not to change all spreadsheet, but I guess not option. thank you again was very helpful

Upvote 0
If it helps, I have an untested idea that might work to show the text strings (Pending SL, etc.) in the cell with conditional formatting, but I believe that it would still show the original version (Pending1) in the dropdown.

Upvote 0
hi Jason, tried as well with conditional formatting, did not give any result I wanted. In the end just added separate column and problem solved. Thanks again for the feedback and help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back